why nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unit240

Reaction score
I may be overlooking something or just plain forgot, but what are the advantages to diving nitrox over compressed air. I have the chance to take the padi nitrox course (great rate) and need to be able to justify it later on. I am looking to go on and take the deep, wreck and cavern courses all next year. I am now finishing up my rescue. Will the nitrox help at all?

Depending on your SAC rate, depth and tank size, it an give you more NDL at depth.

For your 'better than average' with a SAC rate of 0.5 cf/min and an AL80 you run out of tank first above ~70-80fsw and below that you run out of NDL first on air. Nitrox starts to become very valuable on repetative dives, since your NDL are longer on it.

Expencive for just goofing off on a weeknight, but if your on vacay and want to get 4 good dives its an option worth concidering.

To greatly simplify it....

the primary advantage is safety, PROVIDING you follow the rules, particularly as far as maximum depth for your mix is concerned.

If 2 divers, one on air, one on the proper nitrox mix, do the same dive. The nitrox diver is less likely to get bent.

Tom

Increase your potential bottom-time

or

Reduce your surface-interval-time (SIT)

or

Give you an additional safety factor against DCS

BUT

It also has a Maximum Operating Depth (depending on percentage of O2) that, if violated, can lead to Oxygen Toxicity(spelling).

Jarhead

In most situations, diving air makes little sense these days. Nitrogen does us no good at all especially at increases partial presures.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
In most situations, diving air makes little sense these days. Nitrogen does us no good at all especially at increases partial presures.

I just wish it wasn't so damn expencive ($15cnd/al80 vs $0 for air). Besides, woudln't some sort of trimix be even safer?
If I dove nitrox all the time, I'd miss my damn house payments with a gas bill of about $200+/week for my wife and I.. eeepp.

The benefits as they were explained in class are:

1. If you dive to the NDL limit, then Nitrox will give you better bottom time and can shorten your SIT time.

2. If you dive nitrox as you do on air then it is safer.

3. It extends the depth at which you may get narced.

4. Generaly people say they feel better after diving Nitrox.

However, with all good things you have additional things to watch... such as PPO2 and watching your max depth.

Mine was the NAUI course and it was a good course. My first nitrox dive is Sunday.

Ty

JimC once bubbled...

I just wish it wasn't so damn expencive ($15cnd/al80 vs $0 for air). Besides, woudln't some sort of trimix be even safer?
If I dove nitrox all the time, I'd miss my damn house payments with a gas bill of about $200+/week for my wife and I.. eeepp.

Yep, trimix is even better. If cost is a concern, stay far away from there. Depending on your mix, $50-90 to fill a set of doubles.

Tom

JimC once bubbled...

My LDS just started pumping nitrox. He has the stik and a formula that allows him to only charge for the O2 added to your mix. If you come in with 500 psi of 32% and want it filled with 32%, he charges you for an air fill ($5) plus $.50 / cuft for the O2. All in all it's the best price in the area.

Ty

This old man just feels a lot better after diving nitrox as oppossed to air. After a long dive on air I feel tired and lethargic. I have always felt good after a Nitrox dive (usually around 32%.) Commonly, I will dive Nitrox on the first dive and air after that. Our LDS is reasonalbe in their prices.

Back
Top Bottom