Why no weight pockets with doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when would you use ditchable weights? just for surface use when you don't want to ditch the entire rig correct? Also, and just to clarify, when I see/hear ditchable weights I think of the recreational term for it of ditching at the bottom. Ditching while already at the surface is different, so may have just been a verbiage issue.
If you need weight to stay neutral at 15’ with empty tanks and wing, but you’re subsequently too heavy to swim up with full tanks then you might need to be able to ditch that weight.

Everybody is different.

And completely true in DIR style, which is what the OP is trained in.

Oh - I forgot, that's the kool aide "Big Dive only Assoc."

And completely true in DIR style, which is what the OP is trained in.

Might have been better located in the DIR section.

DW

I’ve started the thread here since, dir or no dir, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone with doubles and pockets. V-weights, P-weights, lead on cam bands - but never pockets. I can buy the argument about losing weights and blowing deco, and lack of space for a canister :). My pockets I use with mono came with a D-ring to clip the SPG though, so that works.

I’ve started the thread here since, dir or no dir, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone with doubles and pockets. V-weights, P-weights, lead on cam bands - but never pockets. I can buy the argument about losing weights and blowing deco, and lack of space for a canister :). My pockets I use with mono came with a D-ring to clip the SPG though, so that works.

Well come on down to RI! I use weight pockets and a weight belt when I use doubles. You can take pictures of me suited up and and pass them around to your DIR buddies and have a good laugh at the old weirdo!

SPG no problem, I dive single tank that way. Stage(es) not so sure. The pockets filled with lead tend to be further away from my hip than the D-ring attached to the belt. It could be that the stage is hanging too far out using weight pockets. You should try to be sure.

Besides that, DIR or no DIR do what works for you. For me, I do double 12l steels only with drysuit. I consider a wetsuit not save with attached weight as I really hate weight belts. Alu doubles or smaller doubles or something like that is a different matter. It's a personal choice everyone has to make for himself. As long as you're able to dive safe it's all good.

When I have had to use more than a few pounds, I used a weight harness. But most of the time I can get away with no weight, or a small tail weight or two.

DW

Some people use a weight belt and they typically carry weight equal to the weight of gas they carry. So they have the option of ditching at depth, at the beginning of a dive, without forfeiting the ability to keep a shallow stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom