Why not DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
On the other hand, I have had a 100% change of opinion about being critical in any way about DIR.
Care to clarify?

Catherine, you plan on coming over to the team for the big win?

Technically, I'm still a NAUI monkey. 24 days left before I switch agencies and run the gauntlet.

-V

onfloat:
Catherine, You know Joe Talavera is teaching a DIR-F class on Oahu at the end of March.

Sir, I lived with the guy that owns that shop for three years. But maybe when someone else gets the contract!

JeffG:
Care to clarify?

Well, okay. I read the "waiver" for a lack of a better word and the main thrust was the emphasis that you are responsible for yourself. Unless, I missed it I did not see any language addressing not ever diving solo. I do believe most divers die, at recreational depths, because of poor fitness, directly or indirectly. And I have been bothered a lot by the people who pass the "brand X" exams at all levels, but surprisingly cannot calculate a tip. I think the exams could be getting passed around for free labor. Also, at least with DIR, they seem to actually be teaching more substance in exchange for the money they accept. So, somebody said the other day in response to "Doing It Right" and what a pompous name it was, that "the way the world learns to dive" was sort of grand also, and it made me think. If PADI is "my" agency then maybe I should worry more about what they are doing or NOT doing. And I realized I was hung up on some little things that did not detract from the overall goal of DIR or GUE, putting out better divers.
Still, I just dive for fun and don't want to go deeper than 140 or so. But I just do not believe they deserve the fury they seem to illicit when you examine the value of the instruction they are providing for the cost.

onfloat:
Oh.....I assume you mean the owner of the local shop and not Joe. Well, I've been wanting to start a local DIR group, just needed more Oahu divers that were interested.

But before you get "initiated " we should do the Sea Tiger to the engine room. I want images back there and if I start to die, you can save me!

Catherine... Turn this way and step toward the light.....

No, only halfway. I was chicken, but now, I am not. I have been going inside more.
Mike Savage, works for Pacific Paradise Divers will go. He is actually the best buddy I have ever had. Oh, and a few times I dove with Col. Tim Howard, that man is a real diver as well as a hero.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom