Why not just start out with a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billblack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello...
I'm a new diver who is buying alllll that equipment one piece at a time. I do not plan get into decompression diving, but I do have some plans to perform work at depths up to about 100 feet. I live in coastal Florida and do not plan to dive in cold water.EVER. My question is simple- since a BP/W is where many people end up, is there a reason to buy the first one or two BCs that folks sell when they go to a BP/W. Should I just start out with what I'm going to end up with and save the time/energy/MONEY that it takes to change plans?
Thanks in advance for your input.:D
Bill
in sunny Sebastian, FL

That is a very good questions, I can't come up with a good argument against it. I think starting with a BP/W is a wise choice. You won't grow out of it.

Some new divers view it as too "techie" and want something with bells and whistles. Sounds like you are on the right track from the start.
Brent

billblack:
Hello...
I'm a new diver who is buying alllll that equipment one piece at a time. I do not plan get into decompression diving, but I do have some plans to perform work at depths up to about 100 feet. I live in coastal Florida and do not plan to dive in cold water.EVER. My question is simple- since a BP/W is where many people end up, is there a reason to buy the first one or two BCs that folks sell when they go to a BP/W. Should I just start out with what I'm going to end up with and save the time/energy/MONEY that it takes to change plans?
Thanks in advance for your input.:D
Bill
in sunny Sebastian, FL

The funny thing about diving and divers is that you evolve and so does the equipment. Getting a BP/Wings is a terrific platform from which to start. The advice is to get equipment that matches the mission. X

BTW...Brent sells terrific equipment and provides excellent service.

billblack:
Should I just start out with what I'm going to end up with and save the time/energy/MONEY that it takes to change plans?

If you think you will end up with one already, then yes. No reason to fight it otherwise you will always be thinking you should have got one instead of what you have. I had the same issue with some of my initial gear choices and a year later now I'm diving what I wanted to start with and it cost me a whole other set of gear, which is in the classifieds now if you need some :)

My first BC was a jacket style that after 10 dives I sold. Fortunately I sold it for what I bought it for, so it wasn't a bad deal overall. I then bought the BC I should have gotten from the outset. If you know what you want from the start, buy it....but keep in mind that not everyone ends up with a BP/W.

For every diver that selects a BP&Wings, there are a hundred who don't. Maybe several hundred. I actually dive both BCs and a BP/Wing setup and I own several of each. It's like a set of golf clubs. Sometimes you need a nine iron and sometimes you need a putter. Can you play the entire course with just one club? Sure, but why bother?

If I am diving a steel tank(s), I just love my Deep Sea Supply Backplate and wings. My students have no problems identifying me as my wings have a unique camo design on them.

But they don't pack nearly as well as my Oceanic Islander or my Zeagle Stilletto. One of those get the nod if I travel. BTW, these are far more comfy than any of my BP/Wings, thogh the new harness from DSS has helped quite a bit.

I have NEVER been diving with a back plate--although with all the discussion on board, I am certainly wanting to now--

However, after reading about costs and ease of repair with backplate assembly and the opposite for BCD's....hmmmmm...I hope to NOT OFFEND store owners....does it have anything to do with the mark up cost and the bottom line of the scuba shop?????

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

NOT BLASHING :light: :light: Please, honest inquiry!

I wish I had started off with a bp/w. I'm certainly glad to be diving it now. There's no reason not to start out with it.

The reason most LDSs don't sell bp/w's is because they aren't familiar with them. They sell what they're familiar with and what their reps push, which is related to the bottom line.

I started off with a Deep Sea Supply singles rig because of this board. It is a great rig, much better then any of the BCs that I rented. I would definitely say that you should try to find a LDS in you area that sells them and ask if you would be able to try one in the pool. That will probably be the best way to tell if BP/Ws are for you. If you don't like weird looks from people on boats that have never seen anything like that crazy contraption on your back then a BP/W isn't for you :)

I had my BP/W before my OW class was done, although I used the class BCs in the check-out dives because I didn't want to rock the boat. We fiddled with weight distribution last week trying to fix my trim, but it is certainly no harder to use than the standard BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom