why not octo clipped to right d ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its been said before about the correct gas, panicked diver 'wants the reg you have in your mouth' etc. But something that one should also keep in mind is clipping off a backup (or Octo if one wants to call it that).

Emergencies usually happen when ONE small issue is compounded by others. Then very quickly things get out of hand and we have a major emergency on our hands. Clipping of can be a dangerous thing if for instance (and this is a mere example, we could come up with numerous if we want to):

Buddy is OOG, slight panic (even DIR divers-humans who need oxygen to live- panic initially when there is no gas to breath, but tend to control this quickly)
you donate primary
try to unclip secondary
Buddy looses bouyancy and trim control and starts to shoot up/down, pulls you with him
(you still dont have unclipped your backup)
now you are OOG (and initially panic, this effects your boutancy as well now)
etc, etc,
This may be slightly far fetched, but you get the idea.

The thing I think that is important in an OOG situation, is knowing that it will affect bouyancy/trim, is to both have gas as quickly as possible in order to assess the situation and make decisions. The extra load of not having gas to breath while fidling with a clip is not needed. Hence a backup reg hanging from your neck.

my 2 cents

Mitchell:
Understand that some folks don't have tight lip grip to hold a reg in comfortably. I'm sure someone has asked before..

This is probably going to come out -extremely- offensive. It is not meant to be... just extremely direct.

I'm going to call that one out as a cop-out and an excuse. There is a -lot- of excuses thrown as opposition: "My feet float, I have to have ankle weights", "I can't reach my valves and need this extender", "I need quick release buckles because I can't get out of my harness", "I need a bailout bottle in case my buddy isn't there for me".

Just because something is -easier- doesn't necessarily mean it's 'safer'. The concepts here are based primarily on safety. I'm not going to say anything stupid like "it's not about being comfortable", but in a way it isn't.

I just simply can't believe that holding that reg in your mouth is a critical issue... it just might take a little bit to build up your jaw strength.

NWGratefulDiver:
Would that it were so ... but I know of one case of a DIR-trained diver not engaging their training in an emergency ... and his buddy ended up in the chamber.
He probably should have spent more time in the quarry practicing.

Spectre:
Just because something is -easier- doesn't necessarily mean it's 'safer'. The concepts here are based primarily on safety. I'm not going to say anything stupid like "it's not about being comfortable", but in a way it isn't.

I agree to a certain extend with you Spectre. Too much nowadays is focused on supposed comfort, over and above looking at the functionality and safety of things. If something is comfortable that is an added benefit (even by being added/modified), but safety and functionality should never be comprimised....this is life support equipment we are talking about.

Mitchell:
Understand that some folks don't have tight lip grip to hold a reg in comfortably. I'm sure someone has asked before..

yes, they've asked before: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=104115

DIR incompatible. learn to dive without 'em, or don't dive DIR. DIR is not for everyone and does not try to be.

lord1234:
ummm...molded mouthpieces(such as comfobite) are NOT dir last I checked

The Comfobite mouthpiece is not a molded mouthpiece, and DIR recommends you don't use them for a different reason. The molded mouthpiece is SeaCure.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cornfed:
He probably should have spent more time in the quarry practicing.

No quarries around here ... but a bit more practice may have come in handy.

Point is, susceptibility to panic is more a function of the person than it is the person's training ... and under the "correct" circumstances, it can happen to anybody ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Meng_Tze:
Its been said before about the correct gas, panicked diver 'wants the reg you have in your mouth' etc. But something that one should also keep in mind is clipping off a backup (or Octo if one wants to call it that).

Emergencies usually happen when ONE small issue is compounded by others. Then very quickly things get out of hand and we have a major emergency on our hands. Clipping of can be a dangerous thing if for instance (and this is a mere example, we could come up with numerous if we want to):

Buddy is OOG, slight panic (even DIR divers-humans who need oxygen to live- panic initially when there is no gas to breath, but tend to control this quickly)
you donate primary
try to unclip secondary
Buddy looses bouyancy and trim control and starts to shoot up/down, pulls you with him
(you still dont have unclipped your backup)
now you are OOG (and initially panic, this effects your boutancy as well now)
etc, etc,
This may be slightly far fetched, but you get the idea.

The thing I think that is important in an OOG situation, is knowing that it will affect bouyancy/trim, is to both have gas as quickly as possible in order to assess the situation and make decisions. The extra load of not having gas to breath while fidling with a clip is not needed. Hence a backup reg hanging from your neck.

my 2 cents

my secondary is attached to the right d ring via clip and bungee cord. a light tug will release the secondary/octo from the cord. no need to fiddle with any clips.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom