DIR- Generic Why no D-Ring on right hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you supposed to be able to glance down and see the SPG on your left hip? Or do you unclip it to read? My problem is since I started slinging a Pony, I’ve moved the left hip ring further aft. Between it’s placement and the fact that the bottom of the pony is clipped to the same ring, I can’t see it there. At least on my left chest ring I can see it

Are you supposed to be able to glance down and see the SPG on your left hip? Or do you unclip it to read? My problem is since I started slinging a Pony, I’ve moved the left hip ring further aft. Between it’s placement and the fact that the bottom of the pony is clipped to the same ring, I can’t see it there. At least on my left chest ring I can see it
You need to unclip it to check it.

Also, no pony in Fundies. You’ll gain a buddy you can trust, instead.

As other mentioned, the omission of right hip d-ring is because nothing get clicked there per standard. Then why put d-ring there. Using it as canister stop is very troublesome. Consider what it takes to remove the canister as well.

For spg, yes strict. You will learn looking at spg is NOT the primary way to check your gas remain. You should have a good idea what the gas remain is. It is more of a confirmation.

That location is the easiest to remove a D Ring from, so it's really easy to remove day 1 of fundies. Plus it gives the instructor something obvious to correct!

As mentioned, the biggest issue is that it can trap your long hose. I did keep a plastic triglide there as a stop for my can light. I think I actually started doing that DURING fundies at my instructor's suggestion, but dont quote me on that.

The pony is the biggest no-no for fundies. The spg is the second biggest. Clipping and unclipping to check gas will become second nature and it helps build muscle memory for dealing with stages.

Start using the butt D ring and pockets for the other junk you bring.

Unclip it. Stage bottles plus a Spg there equals 3 spgs all at about the same spot. Not what you want.

Hip d ring goes in the midline of your torso.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel but I'll DIR and try clipping to my hip next dive next week.

That location is the easiest to remove a D Ring from, so it's really easy to remove day 1 of fundies. Plus it gives the instructor something obvious to correct!

As mentioned, the biggest issue is that it can trap your long hose. I did keep a plastic triglide there as a stop for my can light. I think I actually started doing that DURING fundies at my instructor's suggestion, but dont quote me on that.

The pony is the biggest no-no for fundies. The spg is the second biggest. Clipping and unclipping to check gas will become second nature and it helps build muscle memory for dealing with stages.

Start using the butt D ring and pockets for the other junk you bring.

If you just have a d ring, but not clip anything there, I don’t see how these can trap long hose. Non DIR Hogarthian divers do that for ages. The real reason is if there is nothing to clip there, why d ring. Buckle is one option to hold canister. But in the old days, people adjust the main bucket all the way to right side to canister. So technically, nothing needs to be there. Buckle just make things easier.

If you just have a d ring, but not clip anything there, I don’t see how these can trap long hose. Non DIR Hogarthian divers do that for ages. The real reason is if there is nothing to clip there, why d ring.
Right. Why carry along the Forbidden D-ring of Death that you can’t use for anything. Leave it at home.

I see the arguments from the strict DIR perspective for omitting a right hip D-ring, but how does one square that idea with using a Choptima, which requires clipping into that very D-ring?

My guesses are either that (a) the strict DIR philosophy is exclusively OC, or (b) using a rebreather while staying DIR means bowing to GUE's requirement for a particular rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom