DIR- Generic Why no D-Ring on right hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Times may be changing, given how they raved about it on their blog.
I'd doubt that. The way I see it, the InDepth blog may be run by GUE, but it is directed to a much larger audience, and therefore does not fully reflect GUE's standards or plans.

Just take the Annotated Techie article for example - it showed many different tech diver configurations, most of them won't be considered DIR.

Not to mention the full issue dedicated to sidemount.

This idea crumbles when you consider checking stage SPGs requires you to look down at it. And we do that when scootering (often in low vis when following line) all the time.

I'll have to use that line the next time I get told about sneaking a peek at my spg without unclipping it. I'll ask, "don't you look down at your stage SPG when scootering?" 😁

When I did Fundies 9 years ago, the Instructors told me that I shouldn't be dipping my head down to look at the spg, even if it's only for a moment. They said I needed to keep my head forward and get used to clipping/unclipping to not lose situational awareness, as @overthinking_diver posted.
They also told me that I should have a shorter spg hose so that I'm not able to look at it so easily without unclipping it, and pointed out on the video that it hung slightly down while clipped, creating a potential snag hazard.
I did get a shorter SPG hose, and most of the time I unclip and re-clip, but I can still just read it if I want to. :)

And yes, the Instructor had suggested that the right hip d-ring that I had previously had put on should be removed, and he removed it.

I'll have to use that line the next time I get told about sneaking a peek at my spg without unclipping it. I'll ask, "don't you look down at your stage SPG when scootering?" 😁

When I did Fundies 9 years ago, the Instructors told me that I shouldn't be dipping my head down to look at the spg, even if it's only for a moment. They said I needed to keep my head forward and get used to clipping/unclipping to not lose situational awareness, as @overthinking_diver posted.
They also told me that I should have a shorter spg hose so that I'm not able to look at it so easily without unclipping it, and pointed out on the video that it hung slightly down while clipped, creating a potential snag hazard.
I did get a shorter SPG hose, and most of the time I unclip and re-clip, but I can still just read it if I want to. :)

And yes, the Instructor had suggested that the right hip d-ring that I had previously had put on should be removed, and he removed it.
Honestly taking a peek at it is fine. For me, it’s hard to see as it should be on a shorter hose so it doesn’t drag. But you certainly cannot see it when you have a few stage or deco bottles clipped off and in the way. Might as well get comfy with unclipping it to see it anyways.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for the correction! I think at my level doing it this way helps, but clearly this is a skill thing and not a procedure thing.

Also, how good do you have to be to take your eyes "off the road" when scootering inside a cave!? We're all just children playing in the water to you, aren't we? :D
It’s strategic. If I’m bobbin and weavin I’m not looking at anything other than the rocks I’m dodging. But it isn’t like that all the time. If it is, a tactical pause is warranted.

No one is a child or lesser or anything. We’re all on our own journey with our own perspectives and our own goals. I’m just sharing my angle on the topic.

Conceivably, but call me a skeptic about that option. I dive a Choptima, and I find that routing the longhose around it is nigh-on impossible.

It may be the case that I'm doing things wrong, but I'm 6'4" and when I try to route the longhose in a standard way, the hose gets trapped under my O2 bottle and the second stage still ends up somewhere around my right ear. Getting the hose loose is a chore in itself, and I feel that trapping it there isn't a safe configuration.
I dive a JJ-CCR non DIR config. I do not dive with long hose, bail out cilinders on both sides, no spg on the right but pressure on my NERD, etc. For me it is a deliberate choice not to dive DIR CCR. Imo it really doesn't matter how you configure your setup, as long as it fits your diving in a safe way.

Having said that, I don't think one can really make a chest mounted rebreather DIR compliant. It's way different compared to a back mounted CCR. I like the concept though and personally do not see any benefits with the GUE/DIR CCR concept at all. And yes, some of my buddies dive DIR rebreathers so I know what it's all about.

How good do you have to be to take your eyes "off the road" when scootering inside a cave!?
The line doesnt move, and you arent going all that fast, so if you have the scooter skills down, then it isn't an issue. There is definitely a high bar to get to that state, but this is not a challenging skill once you're there.

Scootering in caves has a lot of challenges and considerations. You definitely shouldn't take it lightly, and training is always a good idea, but I thought the equipment setup and the safety procedures were much more challenging than the in-water portion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom