DIR- Generic Why no D-Ring on right hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that in the "proper" DIR configuration there's a D-Ring on the left hip, but not on the right. My understanding is because that's where your canister light attaches. That makes sense. But I also see people adding an additional buckle on the right hip, presumably to keep said canister light from sliding around?

If that's correct, then wouldn't a D-ring provide the same functionality with an added attachment point if needed?

It seems that in the "proper" DIR configuration there's a D-Ring on the left hip, but not on the right. My understanding is because that's where your canister light attaches. That makes sense. But I also see people adding an additional buckle on the right hip, presumably to keep said canister light from sliding around?

If that's correct, then wouldn't a D-ring provide the same functionality with an added attachment point if needed?
Having a D-ring and hanging stuff on it would interfere with the long hose.

Ah right... that makes sense! Currently I'm using a 60" long hose, so it's routed under my arm, should I still skip the d-ring? I'm mainly asking because I got a used DSS backplate and it had d-rings on both hips, and am replacing the harness right now and not sure what to do. I'm also carrying a lot with me, reel, 2 strobes, pony slung on my left side, etc.

Ah right... that makes sense! Currently I'm using a 60" long hose, so it's routed under my arm, should I still skip the d-ring? I'm mainly asking because I got a used DSS backplate and it had d-rings on both hips, and am replacing the harness right now and not sure what to do. I'm also carrying a lot with me, reel, 2 strobes, pony slung on my left side, etc.
I would skip the D-Ring. I recall you are doing Fundamentals in January. Your instructor is going to have you remove the D-Ring so you might as well lose it now.

If you are indeed taking fundies soon, you will inevitably get familiar with GUE's mantra of "starting with the end in mind" - which means you should avoid practices that would need to be changed down the line when you move on to more advanced training.
Hence, even if the d-ring is not interfering with your (short) long hose at the moment, you shouldn't get used to it, and just remove it now.

I would skip the D-Ring. I recall you are doing Fundamentals in January. Your instructor is going to have you remove the D-Ring so you might as well lose it now.
Yeah good point. Ok I'll skip it.

Follow up question--how strict is SPG being mounted to left hip d-ring? I've always liked having it on my left shoulder d-ring... the hose is nice and streamlined and I can see it without having to unclip (I check my pressure often). Also since I'm slinging the pony right now (I know I won't in fundies), I feel like there's a lot of competition on space in that area.

If you are indeed taking fundies soon, you will inevitably get familiar with GUE's mantra of "starting with the end in mind" - which means you should avoid practices that would need to be changed down the line when you move on to more advanced training.
Ok, that is a good mantra and makes a lot of sense.

Follow up question--how strict is SPG being mounted to left hip d-ring? I've always liked having it on my left shoulder d-ring... the hose is nice and streamlined and I can see it without having to unclip (I check my pressure often). Also since I'm slinging the pony right now (I know I won't in fundies), I feel like there's a lot of competition on space in that area.
Strict. The SPG goes on left hip D-Ring. Here is a link to the GUE equipment standards:

It is strict, like @JoeTPhilly mentioned. However, I (and most GUE divers I know) believe one should know the reason behind those seemingly random rules.

Consider the following:
  1. When diving in a drysuit, the inflation hose will be routed very similar to what you would have the SPG if it was clipped to your left chest D ring. Having two hoses with identical paths can lead to trouble, for instance if you have a runaway inflator in your drysuit and you need to disconnect it quickly
  2. Once you start carrying stage bottles, they are clipped to your left chest and hip D rings (right side is reserved for the long hose, so no more clipping ponies on the right). This will quickly turn what was a nice free and visible area at your left chest D ring, into a cluttered area of multiple bottles, each with their own SPG - so now you can't just glance and see it
So following my previous mention of "Starting with the end in mind" - just clip it to your hip D ring like we all do.

In fundies you’ll learn some gas management techniques that will shift your spg checking to your bottom timer/ computer. Time and depth will lead you to your gas usage and you won’t have to look at the spg as often.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom