DIR- Generic Why no D-Ring on right hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or (c) a Choptima doesn't interfere with deployment of the long hose to a teammate.

Or (c) a Choptima doesn't interfere with deployment of the long hose to a teammate.
Conceivably, but call me a skeptic about that option. I dive a Choptima, and I find that routing the longhose around it is nigh-on impossible.

It may be the case that I'm doing things wrong, but I'm 6'4" and when I try to route the longhose in a standard way, the hose gets trapped under my O2 bottle and the second stage still ends up somewhere around my right ear. Getting the hose loose is a chore in itself, and I feel that trapping it there isn't a safe configuration.

Conceivably, but call me a skeptic about that option. I dive a Choptima, and I find that routing the longhose around it is nigh-on impossible.

It may be the case that I'm doing things wrong, but I'm 6'4" and when I try to route the longhose in a standard way, the hose gets trapped under my O2 bottle and the second stage still ends up somewhere around my right ear. Getting the hose loose is a chore in itself, and I feel that trapping it there isn't a safe configuration.
Sounds like a longer hose is needed.
For me with doubles I have a 7'4" hose, fits better for me.

I see the arguments from the strict DIR perspective for omitting a right hip D-ring, but how does one square that idea with using a Choptima, which requires clipping into that very D-ring?

My guesses are either that (a) the strict DIR philosophy is exclusively OC, or (b) using a rebreather while staying DIR means bowing to GUE's requirement for a particular rebreather.
There’s nothing DIR about the choptima.

We’ve got rb configs that work really well.

I'm new to DIR so I could be wrong about this but there's another benefit of unclipping the SPG and bringing it in front of you to read it. It is that you can keep looking forward and maintain situational awareness while checking your gauge.

If you look at your chest d-ring to check the SPG you'll be distracted for a split second because you can't look forward anymore. If the hose is twisted and you have to turn it to read it, or if you are surprised and double check it you might be distracted for 2-3 seconds. In strong current, low visibility conditions (like in the North East) that can be enough to lose the line or your teammate. This may be a made up problem and it might never happen but why worry about it if there's a better way.

In the DIR way, you don't "stop to check the SPG", you don't stop at all, you grab the light with your right hand, so you can signal and you continue swimming and looking forward while you fumble with the boltsnap. You maintain light communication with your teammate, you can signal each other if there's a problem, or if one of you is going the wrong way.

It'll take some practice to clip/unclip quickly, but the point is that speed doesn't matter because you're not distracted. You'll hear the phrase "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" about a hundred times during fundamentals and it applies here as well.

I'm new to DIR so I could be wrong about this but there's another benefit of unclipping the SPG and bringing it in front of you to read it. It is that you can keep looking forward and maintain situational awareness while checking your gauge.
Huh, didn't even think about this but it makes a lot of sense. Thinking back I'm sure I've thrown my situational awareness off from looking down at my spg. Maybe even turned myself around...

If you look at your chest d-ring to check the SPG you'll be distracted for a split second because you can't look forward anymore. If the hose is twisted and you have to turn it to read it, or if you are surprised and double check it you might be distracted for 2-3 seconds. In strong current, low visibility conditions (like in the North East) that can be enough to lose the line or your teammate. This may be a made up problem and it might never happen but why worry about it if there's a better way.

In the DIR way, you don't "stop to check the SPG", you don't stop at all, you grab the light with your right hand, so you can signal and you continue swimming and looking forward while you fumble with the boltsnap. You maintain light communication with your teammate, you can signal each other if there's a problem, or if one of you is going the wrong way.

It'll take some practice to clip/unclip quickly, but the point is that speed doesn't matter because you're not distracted. You'll hear the phrase "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" about a hundred times during fundamentals and it applies here as well.
This idea crumbles when you consider checking stage SPGs requires you to look down at it. And we do that when scootering (often in low vis when following line) all the time.

This idea crumbles when you consider checking stage SPGs requires you to look down at it. And we do that when scootering (often in low vis when following line) all the time.
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the correction! I think at my level doing it this way helps, but clearly this is a skill thing and not a procedure thing.

Also, how good do you have to be to take your eyes "off the road" when scootering inside a cave!? We're all just children playing in the water to you, aren't we? :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom