Why Reality TV Annoys Me: Axe Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was watching the show Axe Men last evening, and I realised once again why reality television annoys me like no other. The example that I am particularly indicating is as follows:
14 y.o Kid is put onto SCUBA with no formal training (stated in previous episodes) into a river with the primary goal of recovering several tonne logs. Meanwhile the kid cannot even figure out how to equalise his ears--which as everybody knows can easily result in damage to one's ear drums-- with the explanation that it is his first day on SCUBA...
Not only should OSHA have a field day with it, but you would think that somebody would have the commonsense to realise that not only should you probably not be trying to pull LOGS from a river on your first day, but also that formal training should be a prerequisite...

My rant for the day!

to correct, he couldnt equalize with a full face mask. Honestly, I cant either. But that kid is a hell of a free diver.

Now you wanna talk about OSHA stuff on Axe Men, that setup Shelby Stanga had to pull that log was an OSHA nightmare.. Davi standing right in the middle, etc. (oh, and the forklift with no brakes)

I was wondering who watches that show.

Axe Men is great entertainment.

Right up there with dance moms, Toddlers in Tiaras, and many more. I think I'd rather go diving. To each their own. BTW, I did go back and strea the Axe men thing, and I too think it was totally inappropriate (and dangerous) to put the kid in the situation they did.
DivemasterDennis

The swamp seems like the last refuge where a man is not hindered by any lack of formal education, he can go out and battle one on one with nature and make a good return for himself and his family. OSHA, the EPA and all the rest have good virtues but unfortunately having no common sense when it comes to enforcement makes them too powerful, a drain and a detriment to everyone. Let's keep OSHA and even scuba instruction out of the back woods and let people roll the dice and have at it and reap rewards for their hard work and if they lose a finger now and then, so be it.

It's been said, but deserves repeating...just because they call it reality tv doesn't mean that it is real. Do you really think that people talk like they do on ax men, swamp loggers, repo shows? That is some of the worst scripting I've ever heard.

Ever been around a bunch of real hillbillies? I have and they do talk just like that. I like swamp people. Hooking alligators, sticking your hand in the water to untangle a line wrapped around a log with a gator on the end of it? That is entertainment! Chance of some serious goddang injuries. Same people watch that and noodling can be found at any NASCAR race. 'cept me. I hate NASCAR. boring as hell watching people make left turns. No matter how fast they are going. Just saw a report that NASCAR fans are upset with the new rules that are reducing crashes with serious injuries and deaths. THat's your typical good ol boy NASCAR fan. George Carlin said it back in the 80's. There is the chance of serious injuries. That's why people watch. Think they really care about "junior, bubba, darryl, and his other brother darryl?" Nah. They care about possibly seeing em die.

Back
Top Bottom