Why Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really love the water, I enjoy surfing , free diving/snorkeling. It was only a matter of time, before I would inevitably be drawn to this mysterious sport of exploring life under the sea. Breathing and relaxing underwater I would have to say was a tremendous difference from free diving. When I would free dive I was I always focusing on my breath hold was not really able to enjoy watching the sea life as much. Scuba allowed me to be able to take my time and let some of this sea life come to me.Most of the time, when I would stand still and just observe the life around me it feels like I am watching an awesome movie.Then when I am moving over reef or through the kelp with the current , I feel like I am flying / gliding over reef and through kelp and just taking it all in, its to beautiful not to admire it , (If it is a day with great vis, you will be stoked, no doubt). It easy for me to relax and when I am down there everything is naturally in a slow motion type tempo. I kind of like that pace, it brings some kind of peace, and tranquility that is hard to find up on the surface.

I find this aspect of diving very unique, and I think is the hidden gem of this sport.

I absolutely love the beauty of the sea, and the feeling of being a part of it. My wife and I share a passion for scuba, and that shared experience is priceless. Plus, I like the cool divemaster shirts and hats.
DIvemasterDernnis

I have always loved to be under the water and when I decided to get certified it was anew world. I don't go that much (living in central illinois) but have been able to dive in Hawaii, California, Florida, South Carolina and Illinois.

Why? The quietness, being able to see and experience things 99% of people can't or won't. It has taught me to be much more calm and careful when a difficult situation comes up. Separating emotion from logic. The weightlessness is cool. love being able to adjust my level in the water just by breathing. I like the equipment, the learning it takes to be proficient in it.

Also have meant a lot of great people who enjoy the same thing!

Jeff

I picked scuba diving so that I could get on diving internet forums and argue about which way to go about it is the best :)
(Just kidding)

I've always loved the ocean. I started by always wanting to be at the beach, beach combing. I started fishing later.
Then I got into freediving, and finally scuba diving. It was a natural progression for me.
One thing about scuba for me is that unlike some of the people I've dove with in years past, many of who got into tech diving as a ladder to climb in diving, finally had no where else to go in the sport and left. Me, I enjoy just doing a simple shallow shore dive now just as much as when I started 15 years ago.

To me it's great exercise.
I like to hunt for food.
I love the scenery.
It's an adventure every time.
I've never had a boring dive.
I love the feel of sea water on my skin, it's refreshing.
There's good cameraderie among other divers.
I like to collect things like shells and other salvage.
I love the gear and like to tinker/DIY service.
And a bunch of other stuff which is too long to list.

As someone who works in a hectic work environment,
one of the things I really love is that no one talks underwater. :cool2:

Diving is great for all the reasonns many have listed, and I also enjoy just being out on the water in the wind or the sun, sometimes even poor weather is a nice experience. Being in the water or on the water makes me feel alive.

Last edited:
Its quiet underwater
I can meditate underwater
No cell phones & laptops underwater

As a kid I always loved spending time in and under the water, I found I could spent more time underwater on SCUBA. Pretty much all of the above posted answers are why.

Bob
------------------------------------
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom