Why SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

never new anyone who did so never got cert. Then one day I said the hell with it and now I have one more dive to go in my OW cert on Sunday can't wait. I must also mention this board has helped me find dive buddies and answer questions i've had.

Went to Cozumel a few years ago for the first time and saw a beautiful underwater world while snorkeling and told myself when I get back to Canada I will get certified. Now its an addiction. Caribbean and of course a history of shipwrecks around me:)

I was 13, spending the summer in the Alps. I was bored and looking for something to do. The instructor was great. This was a long time ago. No BC, no gauge and a J valve.

Then, I was 14, on the Atlantic Coast. The instructor there was a friend of the family. He would let me dive for free as long as I would clean the pool of this fine hotel while UW. I spent my summer on the bottom of the pool looking at some wonderful bottoms. Did I mention I was 14 at the time?

For many, many years after that, I didn't find any opportunity to dive, until a small operation opened right where I was spending the summer. It's been in my blood since then. Now, I create the opportunities and try to dive every WE.

Two years ago we went to the Caribbean for the first time. Actually really my first time for ever being in the tropics! We stayed on St. John for several days. The hotel talked us into renting snorkeling equipment and told us to go to Trunk Bay. I really wasn't very interested, in fact I never have really liked the water. Partially because I always get cold in water so don't really enjoy getting in it. Well, after about 30 minutes of awe and wonder (and it was warm!), I decided I had to go down there, be in the environment rather than just floating on top the surface (of course I didn't realize that you could free dive at that time). That was all it took, I'm hooked now. We (my wife, son and I) have been certified for 5 months and have gotten 20 dives in so far.

This past winter I wanted to take my wife and 4 teenage daughters on a long overdue winter holiday. For the last couple of years I have noted the ads pinned to shop windows seeking OW trainee's so I cajoled begged wimpered ya know male stuff to convince them all to join me. We all signed up (a small fortune was spent) and despite my wife swearing to quit after our first time in the water we all made it and while in maui managed to all do our AOW too. This is a great family sport, one my youngest daughter has managed to kick all of our butts at she just doesnt breathe..damn its embarassing I go down with an al80 and come up with 500 PSI she goes down with a 66 and comes up with 1500 at the same time. heheh I am very proud of her too! Every time she waxes the old mans butt it warms my heart.

Cherry

To meet girls in bikinis while sitting on a beach in front of a campfire after a long day of diving and Jello "Shots" I mean Twister.

No....that wasn't it.... I know

To recoup some of the expense of all those golf balls I lost on the lake.

Nope...that was not it.... I think

I grew up around water and always wanted to see the stuff that was out of reach while snorkeling. Always a quest to see more of the beauty.. The first time i got neutral in a large body of water I was hooked for life.

3 years ago a buddy let me go on a shallow dive with him using his third lung (Brownie).

I discovered that there is a whole new world I haven't seen yet so I'm wandering around it one dive at a time.........:)

Back
Top Bottom