Why Service the regs?? (when new ones are so cheap)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who claims that they can tell a difference of 0.5 J/l is imagining things.

Yes. One joule is a small unit of energy. Half a joule might be significant for a diver with lungs like a chipmunk. Put an extra coin in your pocket and carry it upstairs. That extra work exceeds one joule.

I would far rather pay more for a well crafted product and then use and maintain it for many years. That way the manufacturer can put more care and pride into producing something truly outstanding, and there will be less raw products consumed than making several cheapo regs that people don't value, and that end up in a land fill.
If we all pay more for quality goods, we don't have to turn over huge amounts of junk to keep our economy going.

I'm not talking about expensive bling.
I'm talking about effective, long lasting tools made by people who care.

Bluey

I would far rather pay more for a well crafted product and then use and maintain it for many years. That way the manufacturer can put more care and pride into producing something truly outstanding, and there will be less raw products consumed than making several cheapo regs that people don't value, and that end up in a land fill.
If we all pay more for quality goods, we don't have to turn over huge amounts of junk to keep our economy going.

I'm not talking about expensive bling.
I'm talking about effective, long lasting tools made by people who care.

Bluey

Hmm.. that would be great for consumers but not for the business. I don't have the data but my guess is that the parts for existing regs make up a tidy profit for these companies (since the margins are so high). If they make regs that last a long time and don't need servicing often, then can they sustain their business?

Hmm.. that would be great for consumers but not for the business. I don't have the data but my guess is that the parts for existing regs make up a tidy profit for these companies (since the margins are so high). If they make regs that last a long time and don't need servicing often, then can they sustain their business?

I don't have solid data either but I think it can work in every ones favor if we pay more for a longer lasting product.
Servicing can follow the same model... we pay a bit more for a service from a good technician who is servicing a quality product with quality parts, but we have it done less often.
It just feels better to me and thats the ethic I like to work with. Disposable everything just degrades peoples pride in what they do and the planet also plays a high price.

I must admit i agree mostly with leadturn

If you are not diving alot in ayear it is pointless paying any one to service them when it is easy enought do fine tune them and service them yourself. the other down side to anual services is that it costs so much (last time i had mine done 3 mounths ago it cost well over £100) and now not long down the line i have a free flowing reg with a brocken face plate that was in fit working order befor it went away and now its not.

Sorry about the moan this topic dose get under my skin abit.

Narcossis

A tech at one local shop has two SOPs. When a reg comes in he gives it a general overall inspection. If there is no sign of corrosion or other problems (i.e. not been sitting for 2 years, cracked hoses etc. ) he checks the IP and cracking pressure. If they are within spec he gives it back to the customer. If something is of concern the reg is rebuilt.

Like some others having 7 regs to service I bought Pete and Vance's books. As well as the complete line of tools to do the servicing. I also have the service manuals for my regs, all atomics. My local shop will supply me with parts when needed.

A tech at one local shop has two SOPs. When a reg comes in he gives it a general overall inspection. If there is no sign of corrosion or other problems (i.e. not been sitting for 2 years, cracked hoses etc. ) he checks the IP and cracking pressure. If they are within spec he gives it back to the customer. If something is of concern the reg is rebuilt.

Like some others having 7 regs to service I bought Pete and Vance's books. As well as the complete line of tools to do the servicing. I also have the service manuals for my regs, all atomics. My local shop will supply me with parts when needed.

Yeeeessssss. Excellent books.

As another DIY reg servicer, I'd like to add one more piece of food for thought. How many people out there will perform a brake job on their car, but are terrified of servicing a regulator? It's not anymore difficult to service a regulator, and I would be a lot more fearful of a brake failure at speed, than I would be of a reg failure at depth. Also, as others have noted, taking your regulator to a shop is no guarantee that it is going to be serviced properly. There is not even a guarantee that the technician working at that shop has any more training than you do.

Back
Top Bottom