Why should I bother to get rescue cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver teaches more than just rescue of other divers & self. It teaches you how to recognize things & situations that can get you into a rescue situation in the first place & how to avoid it. It goes with the saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you can't avoid it, then it teaches you to handle it with a calm air. The course makes you more aware of everything about the dive.

Because it'll make you a better diver, and a better buddy. As a buddy, you'll pass on this attitude to your buddies, whether you realize it or not. Ultimately it benefits not only you, but the sport..

Packhorse:
To be honest Im not a big fan of rec specialty classes. Most of it is a rehash of OW and common scence with alot of irrelevant stuff chucked in as filler. Probably suited to people who dont "self learn" to well.
Rescue diver maybe the exception, but I really dont know because I have never done it or am likely to.
Lots of people aren't fans of some of the specialty classes, but Rescue isn't one of the specialty classes and I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend against taking it.

Rescue is the level id ideally like EVERY regular diver to be at. At that level you can be fairly sure any potential buddy is competent themselves and can attempt rescue on you if needed.

Put it another way, would you prefer to dive with a buddy who is or isnt rescue qualified should you have an incident?

The life you save my be a loved ones or a good friend , i hope the would do the same for you.

The Rescue course will teach you more about yourself than any class you will ever take in any school, including college.

I'm not a fan of PADI classes in general, but Rescue was superb.

You literally don't know when you are going to run across someone in distress. We ran into an OW diver in full-blown panic during an advanced class I was taking. It was very educational to watch the class instructor take over and do what was necessary, and calm the diver down. A possible accident was averted that day.

I think everybody who dives should take Rescue. I hope everybody who's diving where I am has . . .

My wife and I have both been in careers where ongoing training is part of the job. In my opinion there is no such thing as bad training. Being in law enforcement and emergency medicine we have learned that training not only helps in your career or hobby, but carries over to everyday life. Knowledge is something that no one can ever take away from you, and it is surprising how when you are in a situation, that training takes over even if you think you didn't learn anything.

Back
Top Bottom