Why should I bother to get rescue cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting my Rescue Diver certification and I really don't know why. I always welcome new challenges, but why do I care enough to do it? I don't want to be a divemaster or work in the dive business. I just love to dive. Maybe I'll feel responsible if anything ever happens and I am untrained and unable to act. Yes, I think about that often when I'm diving with my best friends and know their life could be in my hands some day.

I don't know if there's a question in there or not...just working it out in my simple mind.

Why?
To learn some new skill that you cant teach yourself.
To support your LDS.
To meet new people who you maybe able to dive with at a later date.
To collect another card.

To be honest Im not a big fan of rec specialty classes. Most of it is a rehash of OW and common scence with alot of irrelevant stuff chucked in as filler. Probably suited to people who dont "self learn" to well.
Rescue diver maybe the exception, but I really dont know because I have never done it or am likely to.

Not to sure if there is an answer in there or not...Im just filling in time as I rip some CD's. :)

i'll answer.. i thought my rescue course was great and recommend it to any diver. i actually wouldnt mind repeating the course every few years

it wasnt about moving up to DM, for me it was about stress & incident managment and just being made more aware of my surroundings, potential situations and being given a bit of training into a 'what if' situation

ive helped out 2 divers since then in dive related problems and i at least felt that afterward i was able to provide some assistance in 1 and was able to walk away and know i did the best i could in the 2nd

cheers and happy diving

parrotdiver:
I'm thinking about getting my Rescue Diver certification and I really don't know why. I always welcome new challenges, but why do I care enough to do it? I don't want to be a divemaster or work in the dive business. I just love to dive. Maybe I'll feel responsible if anything ever happens and I am untrained and unable to act. Yes, I think about that often when I'm diving with my best friends and know their life could be in my hands some day.

I don't know if there's a question in there or not...just working it out in my simple mind.

You just said all that you need to. So, when are you taking Rescue?

Rescue is a good eye-opener for anyone, It's one that will teach you alot about helping yourself and others,

I would suggest that everyone get at least rescue diver certified.

To begin with, many situations can be defused before they become a problem if you know what to look for.

Also, training will turn scenarios from "what would I do if...?" to "I know how to handle this.". That is a BIG difference.

You will be a safer diver. The first thing people learn about entering into a rescue situation is to not turn a single rescue into two rescues.

Oh, and here's a tip. Do not, do not, do not reach over a freaked out diver's shoulder for the inflator. I told my wife that when she took the course. Did it anyway. The instructor used her arm to climb to the highest point...her head. Lesson learned.

Jeff G.

parrotdiver:

Some good answers here already... I'll just add that another good reason to take it is because it is as much about saving yourself as it is about saving someone else. You do care about yourself don't you?

don't bother to get a Rescue cert.

get the skills that come with a Rescue cert.

why? because self-rescue and incident management are excellent skills to have as a diver, not to mention dive-specific knowledge regarding first aid, CPR, mouth-to-mouth, etc.

The most important thing to get out of the Rescue class is more confidence with self rescue. Its good to be able and help someone else but if you are in trouble then you can't help anyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom