why should one keep away from BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-ninio

Contributor
Reaction score
(I know I'm treding dangures grounds here)

I'm considering a switch over from a seaQest\ballance back-inflated to a halcyon 36# paioneer with an allominum backplate. I dive recreational, singule tank only, warm water, no caves or the such.

I've been asking around, but it seems that only a handfull of people back home (Israel) have ever tried this system, and except for one that did not like getting into the fixed harness, not one could say a good or bad work about the system.

so far, I've dived once with such a setup, and it was very comfertable, and I will have a weekend or so to try this out befour I have to deside (and pay). But I want to be sure I know what to look for when I test-run this.

I'm looking for posible problems with this system, thing I should watch out for, reasons not to go forward and switch. I want to know all the dirty secrets that the bp/w missionarys don't want to you to tell me.

(this way, when I get my wings and start preaching, I'd know what not to say :wink: )

el-ninio once bubbled...

I'm looking for posible problems with this system, thing I should watch out for, reasons not to go forward and switch. I want to know all the dirty secrets that the bp/w missionarys don't want to you to tell me.

There are no problems with the system, it is as great as everyone says. I say go ahead and switch over. No dirty secrets, it does what it is supposed to do.

of positive attributes: modular, streamlined, functional. Most divers report being able to wear less lead with this system.

The only negative I've heard is that some people find the harness webbing too stiff and it chafes when they dive it without an exposure suit.

I am a purely recreational diver, old & fat, but I've had no regrets since switching to a plate & wing. In fact, I liked it so well I've added a lightwqeight travel plate and STA and a small 27# Halcyon wing for warm water diving. For the cold northern water I have a bigger Diverite wing and heavy SS plate. Absolutely no regrets.

JohnF

A back plate and wings is a fine system. If you decide to switch, it will serve you well. I've tried them and found them easy to use and very comfortable.

I've never used the BC you currently have, so I can't really comment on its performance.

A well designed BC is a well designed BC. I personally use the Scubapro Classic Sport which works as well as any other system I've tried. My point is if your current BC is working well for you, you may not find an advantage in switching. The B/P and Wings combo is excellent, but not necessarily better than other BC's.

I have been using the Balance for 5 years and if you find that this type of BC has served you well, you will be comfortable with a BP and Wings. The Seaquest balance is IMHO one of the best fabric BC available. It fits a wide variety of body shapes and handles the larger scuba tanks (up to 120 CU/FT) with no problems. The BP and wings can be configured exactly to your liking and have the latitude for future upgrades (like doubles and higher lift wings) without costing a fortunate. as to divng comfort, I refer to Walter who has stated several times before (on different threads) that the difference are more a matter of perception (not that much difference).

love my bp/wing, but more padding would be nice on the sholder

i recently switched and i can only recommend it. the only drawbacks if you really want to find something wrong with it are that my old bc was easier to don and doff and it had pockets. some people like that better than strapping a separate pocket to their waist or thigh or gluing one to their wet-/drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom