Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back and used the Mayair option and couldn't have been happier! Got a super cheap non stop late morning from LAX to CUN and were in Cozumel by 9:30pm eating fajitas. We took two full sets of gear and wetsuits in a wheel bag and clothes for the week in 45lbs Each of us with a school sized backpack on our laps as well. If the flight would have been late, or customs would have been crowded it might have been tight to arrive that close to the last flight of the day, but I'd do this again in a heartbeat vs a long stop after a red eye in Houston or the longer trip on the bus/ferry. Cozumel was amazing as always and we had an incredible visit with some truly exceptional dives!!

So Tunaman how much was the flight and did you have to pay for any part of your luggage. Plus you still needed the shuttle from COZ airport to your hotel.

Just got back and used the Mayair option and couldn't have been happier! Got a super cheap non stop late morning from LAX to CUN and were in Cozumel by 9:30pm eating fajitas. We took two full sets of gear and wetsuits in a wheel bag and clothes for the week in 45lbs Each of us with a school sized backpack on our laps as well. If the flight would have been late, or customs would have been crowded it might have been tight to arrive that close to the last flight of the day, but I'd do this again in a heartbeat vs a long stop after a red eye in Houston or the longer trip on the bus/ferry. Cozumel was amazing as always and we had an incredible visit with some truly exceptional dives!!

I don't consider myself a heavy packer, typically end up with a shirt I may not wear, but otherwise, I'm amazed. My and my wife's dive gear bags, and that's just typical dive stuff (AL backplate for me and ST for her) and we're still 45 plus each bag. And the bag empty isn't that heavy. That's no clothes at all.

Every year I get out my lists from the last few years with the intention of lightening the load; every year I end up with pretty much the same bunch of stuff. Oh, well... :D

Well, my wife and I are going to do the bag drag for the first time in September. The fare and schedule from Southwest (direct Den-CUN) were too good to pass up and we even had enough points to cover all of it. With a bus that comes directly to term 4 in CUN to the bus station (the ADO?) and guys who will bike us and our bags from the bus to the ferry for a few $, seems like we really don't need to do too much dragging of the bags. Sounds like the most challenging part will be at the ferry baggage claim which requires some initiative.

Well, my wife and I are going to give do the bag drag for the first time in September. The fare and schedule from Southwest (direct Den-CUN) were too good to pass up and we even had enough points to cover all of it. With a bus that comes directly to term 4 in CUN to the bus station (the ADO?) and guys who will bike us and our bags from the bus to the ferry for a few $, seems like we really don't need to do too much dragging of the bags. Sounds like the most challenging part will be at the ferry baggage claim which requires some initiative.

To me it seems like it's closer to get from the ADO station in PDC to the ferry than it is to get from the airplane to customs at LAX but I've never actually measured it. We are in our mid-60s and don't think it's any kind of a big deal. We've never had any problems with baggage claim--they have claim tickets on the ferries that we've ridden, unlike here in California where it's all thrown in a big pile and you hope nobody runs off with your luggage. The only issue we've had with the ADO was the first time we took it from Terminal 3--nobody would tell us which way to go and people actually lied to us. Our instructions said to buy the tickets at the bus and not inside the terminal which was a mistake under those circumstances. The next time we bought our tickets inside and for a few pesos our bags were carried to the bus.

Last edited:
Well, my wife and I are going to give do the bag drag for the first time in September. The fare and schedule from Southwest (direct Den-CUN) were too good to pass up and we even had enough points to cover all of it. With a bus that comes directly to term 4 in CUN to the bus station (the ADO?) and guys who will bike us and our bags from the bus to the ferry for a few $, seems like we really don't need to do too much dragging of the bags. Sounds like the most challenging part will be at the ferry baggage claim which requires some initiative.

It's a bit of a misnomer, it's always been more about the time drag than the bag drag. But bag drag rhymes and people like phrases that rhyme. Some people just don't like the bus fuss or the scary ferry.

It's a bit of a misnomer, it's always been more about the time drag than the bag drag. But bag drag rhymes and people like phrases that rhyme. Some people just don't like the bus fuss or the scary ferry.

Absolutely right.
The extra work to haul your stuff a couple hundred yards further is inconsequential.
You need to add two hours (minimum) extra travel time.
Is it worth it?
For us, generally yes, as our options out of Portland, OR are few, and expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom