Why the Compass on the Left Arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not so much about the compass right now, but the idea of cut and dry standardization. If standardization were black and white, then there wouldn't be much to argue about, as something would either be DIR, or not be DIR, sure. But the fact that CCR has been introduced by GUE kinda' contradicts the idea of standardization, and the philosophy of having a configuration that applies to every type of diving, rather than specializing your setup for different dives. If the rules can be bent for tech dives, then why not recreational dives as well, is the question that pops up.

If a group has a very cut and dry, all or nothing approach to standardization, of course people are going to ask questions if you introduce something like CCR, which is a radical change in that standardization. I imagine that's why GUE took so long to introduce it into their curriculum. It might be a lot easier to just call someone a troll for asking questions that are hard to answer, but like TSandM said a few pages back, all choices should be able to be explained.

The answer is probably as simple as, "Rebreathers offer a large enough benefit to warrant changing standardization for certain dives, whereas changes like compass placement, AI wrist computers, and others are more insignificant changes of convenience." Which is fine, and a perfectly sensible explanation, but it still would mean DIR is no longer fully standardized. Much more standardized than any other style of diving, for sure, but not so black and white. The philosophy would be more like, "Standardization for all types of diving. Unless the change provides enough benefit to warrant."

I imagine use of helmets in certain cave systems for safety would fall under the same explanation.

To be clear, I do not speak for GUE, the following is my own opinion.

To the best of my knowledge, GUE has not adopted CCRs. I believe some GUE divers were using them on the recent Mars Project, but it is still not mainstream GUE (i.e. there is no GUE CCR course offered). This is similar to sidemout, GUE has been experimenting with it for some time now.

However, whether or not GUE adopts CCR doesn't change the fact that CCR is not DIR. If GUE were to adopt a standard CCR configuration, I believe it would be called the "GUE CCR Configuration" and not "DIR CCR", although the compass would probably still be on the left arm :)

It's not so much about the compass right now, but the idea of cut and dry standardization. If standardization were black and white, then there wouldn't be much to argue about, as something would either be DIR, or not be DIR, sure. But the fact that CCR has been introduced by GUE kinda' contradicts the idea of standardization, and the philosophy of having a configuration that applies to every type of diving, rather than specializing your setup for different dives. If the rules can be bent for tech dives, then why not recreational dives as well, is the question that pops up.

If a group has a very cut and dry, all or nothing approach to standardization, of course people are going to ask questions if you introduce something like CCR, which is a radical change in that standardization. I imagine that's why GUE took so long to introduce it into their curriculum. It might be a lot easier to just call someone a troll for asking questions that are hard to answer, but like TSandM said a few pages back, all choices should be able to be explained.

The answer is probably as simple as, "Rebreathers offer a large enough benefit to warrant changing standardization for certain dives, whereas changes like compass placement, AI wrist computers, and others are more insignificant changes of convenience." Which is fine, and a perfectly sensible explanation, but it still would mean DIR is no longer fully standardized. Much more standardized than any other style of diving, for sure, but not so black and white. The philosophy would be more like, "Standardization for all types of diving. Unless the change provides enough benefit to warrant."

I imagine use of helmets in certain cave systems for safety would fall under the same explanation.

You're missing a key point about DIR. If you need it, take it. If you don't need it, don't take it. Minimalism.

If you need a stage, you take a stage. Need a scooter, take a scooter. And there are some dives that need a RB. If you need it, you need it. You clearly don't need air integrated computers (or really computers period), silly clips and buckles, pony bottles, retractors, or any of the other padi nonsense items designed to lighten your wallet.

I know what you mean, but to be fair I've seen GUE teams on scooters not because it was necessary for the site, but just because it's fun and convenient, and let's them chill and cruise. And GUE divers wearing doubles on rec dives where a single cylinder would be enough, but because they're used to the setup and like the redundancy (so it functions as a giant pony bottle basically) :wink:

There are ye olden time divers who would argue you don't need SPGs, or BCs, either, but that they're just convenient devices rather than necessities. One man's "need" is another man's "want."

On that note, I was wondering the other day why bottom timers are allowed to sit in plastic boots, when the SPG should be without one. If the argument is that the plastic boot makes it easier to get wedged into something and stuck, shouldn't DIR bottom times be a glass screen and nothing else? Minor point, but was just curious.

The wrist straps could be connected to the bottom of the screen, why would that be an issue? I'm talking about all the plastic surrounding the screen. Just Googling bottom timers, the boots seem to take up a huge % of the actual device. Though perhaps the size is necessary to house the actual mechanisms, and the amount of unnecessary plastic isn't that high. I'm not a bottom timer manufacturer, so I have no idea, but just a thought when looking at them.

BottomTimer.jpg

And some are made like that. Some are not.

DIR requires thinking. If you can't see that there's no other way to get a uwatec puck to stay put on your arm other than some sort of strap, there's nothing I or anyone else can do for you. Lighten up on the derp a little.

The wrist straps could be connected to the bottom of the screen, why would that be an issue? I'm talking about all the plastic surrounding the screen. Just Googling bottom timers, the boots seem to take up a huge % of the actual device. Though perhaps the size is necessary to house the actual mechanisms, and the amount of unnecessary plastic isn't that high. I'm not a bottom timer manufacturer, so I have no idea, but just a thought when looking at them.

View attachment 179576

Can't discuss bottom timers in a compass thread. This is a DIR thread, and as such there is a standard format for keeping the discussion simple.

DIR requires thinking. If you can't see that there's no other way to get a uwatec puck to stay put on your arm other than some sort of strap, there's nothing I or anyone else can do for you. Lighten up on the derp a little.

I'm not talking about a glass gauge with no strap or anything to connect it to your wrist. Of course there's gotta be a strap, otherwise would would we do, superglue it to our suits? I'm talking about all the plastic that surrounds the actual screen. It's looks the same as the boots on SPGS:unnecessary plastic, which could potentially get wedged into something.

Granted I have no actual idea how thick the plastic is on bottom timers. Maybe it's just a thin layer covering the device. But if it's solid plastic surrounding the screen then seems like it should be thrown to the wind just like SPG boots were.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=129

This is what most folks use with the Uwatec. Its a bit lower profile, but I personally like it because the bungee arrangement is nice.

A spg is clipped off out of your line if sight, the boot traps water which leads to corrosion, and it hides that corrosion. The uwatec boot is plastic on rubber, so no corrosion concern, and you can get at it. So unless you shove your hand into the worlds most perfectly shaped rock hole, its not going to get wedged anywhere.

Engage that noggin of yours. It gets easier the more you do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom