Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I'm treating you with respect and answering your posts. This sort of flippant, mocking language, especially from a very inexperienced diver, makes me feel like you don't respect the sport.

Stuart, I am going to echo and reinforce doctormike on this point. I made an oblique reference to this a few days ago, I believe in another thread, and you laughed that off in a mocking tone as well.

I recall well when you first joined ScubaBoard as a brand new diver, and everyone was stunned by the way you lectured highly experienced divers on things you really knew very little about. Now you are back with a total of 35 dives (according to a recent post in another thread), and you seem to believe your accumulated experience and knowledge surpasses all other divers. When divers with a relative wealth of experience disagree, you mock and insult them as if they were simple-mindeed fools.

Why he's on my ignore list.

Why he's on my ignore list.

Sort of like a viral video showing a car accident in slow motion; I don't want to watch, but I can't turn away.

Well, it's hard to respond to you since you've trimmed my post to suit your response. Here's the entirety of what I said...

I'll be more direct this time. You tend to argue... not question. Specifically, you tend to "argue for a contrary position from ignorance/naivete" or "simply reject offered advice out of hand because it isn't what you want to hear."

Here's how it usually goes.

Step 1: You post something asking "Should I do X... or Y?"

Step 2: Several experienced people will reply, fairly succinctly, saying "You should do X because of thus and such reason."

Step 3: Your response to them never says "I don't understand what you mean by that" but rather your response is almost always "Well, I don't agree with you. I want to do Y!" And that argument is most often from a position of ignorance/naivete... as is abundantly evident by the fact that your responses then tend to go on and on (and on) with paragraphs and paragraphs of irrelevant and/or incorrect information and assumptions on your part.

Step 4: Experienced people (at least those with the morbid curiosity/interest in sparring with you) will point out the innacurate/irrelevant information in your response... and direct you back to choice "X"

Step 5: You then complain (over the course of a thousand words in a half-dozen paragraphs) that the experienced people who directed you back to choice "X" are picking on you, while recapitulating your position that you want to pursue "choice Y" for all the flawed reasons you used to support that choice in the first place.

If you really "don't understand X" come out and say that. Don't argue for a contrary position when you - now admittedly - don't know what you're talking about.

I dunno why this seems novel to you. Or why you are calling out one particular person.

There is a good percentage of newer diver scubaboard members that operate in this mode. They decide something (like a piece of gear) and ask, what's your opinion? When you explain why something is not a great idea, they get defensive. I bet if someone pulled up my posts from 10 years ago, they could say I was guilty myself.

I remember a few years ago when this new scooter came out - bladefish or something. All manner of people were asking how good they were (some had already decided to buy them before getting responses back). You tell em, "small battery, weak motor, cheap plastic bits" and all kinds of name calling ensues. "Elitist", "Snobbery", "DIR sheeple", so on and so forth.

More recently, there was a thread that meandered into doubles and manifolds. One of the posters was going on and on about there was nothing to manifolds and that any idiot could deduce how it works. Of course, he was wrong about every single thing he was deducing. And it turns out, he had absolutely zero experience with manifolds. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. And after being exposed for is ignorance, he went on for days and days still arguing with his ignorance.

That's why I think scubaboard is, at times, the worst place for getting information on diving. Some of the people with the loudest opinions are actually the most ignorant. And the people who know the most express themselves in subtle ways because they know that a lot of these things have nuance and gray areas. Unfortunately, those seeking information sometimes have a hard time figuring out who knows and who doesn't.

That's why I think scubaboard is, at times, the worst place for getting information on diving. Some of the people with the loudest opinions are actually the most ignorant. And the people who know the most express themselves in subtle ways because they know that a lot of these things have nuance and gray areas. Unfortunately, those seeking information sometimes have a hard time figuring out who knows and who doesn't.

Maybe, but then again, that's the benefit of it being a community. We do get to know each other. We do develop reputations here.

Sure, if you are new to the board, and can't distinguish by the content alone which posts are valuable and which are bloviation, then you might get the wrong idea about something. But then again, if someone has such poor judgement that they are going to accept as gospel advice out of context like that, then there isn't much we can do to help.

SB works best when it is a real community. When new divers spend enough time reading and listening here to get a big picture. No one post stands on its own.

Just like my real world dive club, there are many helpful and knowledgable people here. And there are also some others. :)

it's a great place for getting information... but as with all communities you have to sift the information and reference it with information from elsewhere... don't ever take the information you see on one board as hard fact... regardless of field

it's a great place for getting information... but as with all communities you have to sift the information and reference it with information from elsewhere... don't ever take the information you see on one board as hard fact... regardless of field

Tell me, from this thread, can you tell if AI computers are a good investment of your limited scuba dollars?

What are the pros? What are the cons? What are the gotchas?

This thread has good information in it. Sadly, the good information is wrapped with all kinds of other non-sense that may or may not be easy for a new diver to sift through.

Tell me, from this thread, can you tell if AI computers are a good investment of your limited scuba dollars?

What are the pros? What are the cons? What are the gotchas?

This thread has good information in it. Sadly, the good information is wrapped with all kinds of other non-sense that may or may not be easy for a new diver to sift through.

OK, but SB's primary mission is not to be a product review site. It's an online discussion forum. The people who want to have a meandering conversation have just as much right to be here as people who want a cut and dried summary. And while extensive topic drift is discouraged (and occasionally moderated with a light hand), this is NOT a legal deposition. That's just the nature of human interaction - sometimes the thread of the conversation drifts.

And that can be a good thing too. For example, a new diver says that they are trying to decide between two brands of jacket BCs. Someone posts that they might consider a BP/W. Since the new diver had never heard of a BP/W before, the answer to the question that they didn't ask might be really helpful to them in the long run. And angry posters saying "The OP didn't ASK about BP/Ws, stick to the question!" are missing that point.

Back
Top Bottom