Why the hating on Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only if he sells the right equipment. Otherwise the business goes to another shop with the right expertise.

Exactly. If they are purely a recreational shop then there really is no motivation. Not saying this is the case...but it could be.

My instructor when I first got certified said something like...I have no interest in going down that deep and having all that deco. I dont think this was a knock on tech diving, just his personal opinion.

It didnt keep me from getting into rebreathers for a hot minute.

Someone once told that the secret to happiness is to:

"Find something you love to do then learn to love the way YOU do it".

Diving is a vehicle to experience places people rarely get to see. The equipment is simply the life support system. Some dives call for different gear than others. If you are driven to dive deeper, longer or into wrecks and caves then, as a consequence, you will need additional training and equipment. If you prefer to call that "Tech Diving" then so be it. But at the end of the day it is just an extension of what we all do and love.

We all love to dive and we all dive with whatever we need to do the dive safely. Who really cares about the "label".

Bob (Toronto)

Someone once told that the secret to happiness is to:

"Find something you love to do then learn to love the way YOU do it".

That someone must not have been a member of a very vocal subset of tech divers, for whom there is apparently only one "correct" way to "do it"... :shakehead:

lynne has said several times (but not in this thread for some reason :) ) - 'dive until you start hitting the limits of your certs, then get more education'. so if you're happy at or above 130 in the non-deco limits without overhead, there's no need for any techy certs except possibly fundies or essentials or intro to tech, for those skills.

when you have some specific dives burning a hole in you beyond those limits, then it's time for tech.

anyway, i think it's a combo of people who have no desire to go further being dismissive towards those who do, and negative feedback from those who do seeing those who don't as limited in their thinking.

Greetings Aerosynth and welcome to the world of diving. It is far more than what meets the eye, and all types / configurations are not for everyone. This was previously stated and very obvious in the issues that have been discussed in your thread.
It was not long ago that I was a AOW moving up the chain to Rescue and wondering what was next. I took my time honing skills and sought the methods and gear to make the dives I wanted to do safely.

In cold water redundancy makes sense and thus double it was. This opened the door to a whole new world. With this addition came more training which lead to deeper, longer, awesome dives. In just a few short years I have come to understand that Tech diving is far bigger than many people will ever comprehend.
For those divers who seek more, and are willing to commit time, money, training Tech is the means to an end. It is a method to achieve more advanced dives in a safe manor.
It is not a easy path but a rewarding one in my experience and I am but a fledgling.
I personally believe that if you wish to pursue your dive goals and they are taking you into Tech environments then embrace it. Train hard acknowledge the risks and how they are managed.

For one group to disrespect one another is futile we are part of the same body of divers. To battle back and forth is counter productive.

Proceed with your own dive goals and training to achieve them. Good luck.
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Please post the instructors you have talked to! I guarantee you that they put it down because they personally don't do those dives!

When I started loooking at cave / adv nitrox / deco I wanted an instructor who made those dives regularly. I first went to BlueWater, then I looked at ALL the dives they went on. Even the places that had excellent tech oportunities (like Truk!!!!) They never did anything except rec profile dives. I don't want that person teching me anything about technical level diving. You will also find that most LDS are the same way.

While I agree with you that Bluewater does a ton of great fun recreational trips every year, I feel the need to point out some diversification. There are instructors and plenty of individuals interested in tech/cave diving. As a matter of fact, an instructor at Bluewater just took and passed GUE Tech 1 with one of GUE's most respected instructors last October in Bonaire while still enjoying the annual Halloween trip! So I think you missed a few if you looked at ALL the dives. I'm personally a PADI DM, GUE trained, dive a BP/W, long hose, "DIR" (don't like that term) setup for all my fun dives and I'm definitely not the only one. It's a TEAM sport. It's what WE enjoy; not that it's for everyone at BW or anywhere else, but we all are divers doing what we love. We're all about having fun and enjoying diving, no matter if you consider "fun" 40ft on a reef in Cozumel or 150ft on trimix doing deco dives in a local lake. My buddies and I are always more than willing and happy to meet new people with an interest or love for diving. So please, hit us up, ask questions, come blow some bubbles. That goes for everyone.
P.S. There will be a couple BW divers at 150' in Beaver Lake tomorrow morning doing that oh so hated techy diving non-sense if you are interested... :wink:

If you haven't already done so, read these books. As a relatively new diver you will enjoy and learn a lot about technical diving.

FATAL DEPTH, by Joe Haberstroh
THE LAST DIVE, by Bernie Chowdhury
DEEP DESCENT, by Kevin F. McMurray

Kyle, I sense a bit hurt feelings in your post. It appears that you think I am putting down BW and rec divers. Nothing could be further from the truth. I love shallow reef dives Coz and Caymans as much as I love anything in caves or wrecks.

Re-read your own post. You said that one of Alan's instructors "just" finished GUE tech. Thats great, but it only marks that prior there wasn't much option. I'm glad that BW is finally getting into more than just selling the gear. There are plenty of dives outside the rec limits in our area. Divers just need a place to get the training.

........... You said that one of Alan's instructors "just" finished GUE tech. Thats great, but it only marks that prior there wasn't much option. I'm glad that BW is finally getting into more than just selling the gear. There are plenty of dives outside the rec limits in our area. Divers just need a place to get the training.

Good point:
Divers just need a place to get the training.

That's a good message to recreational-only LDS'. My LDS is tech-friendly, but will start you out recreational. Lots of us "faded" into tech because of what tech offers, -nice that I didn't have to turn my back on anyone or take a bunch of grief.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom