Why the hating on Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats a shame.

I'd be all over a 530 foot dive in 36 degree water if it was legal! :D

:thumb:

I'm in! But that's a lot of mix. Can we do it on air?

sizes matters lol and tech diving is more bang for the buck, we dove tech in truk and did a35 min bottom time and 117 on the run those that can do those that cant teach ( o/w instructor) so keep luvin the sport and go where it leads you stay safe see u in the water

LOL. Kind of like saying "have you stopped beating your wife?"

Or more accurately "How come every body says all Irishmen are drunks?" (I used "Irishman" because my Dad is one.)

First not "everybody" says that. But we would have a discussion as why they do say it. Further, not all Irishmen are drunks, but we can discuss why those that get drunk do so.

There is no "hating on tech". Why would somebody "hate tech"? Some people have no interest for themselves.

I admire the commitment technical divers make. But I am gonna be honest, every newly certified male diver I met in the last 10 years talked about "going tech". Most of them never never made another dive after sitting out a season. Of the rest, I know of non who has made the commitment. Although some have become exceptional rec divers and a few are even working in the industry.

So maybe what you took for "hate", was really just a failure to share your enthusiasm.

Just curiosity...

Somewhat new diver and already love the sport like crazy. Just got my EANx cert last night! Always looking to know and understand more about the fascinating world of diving. As I have learned more, I have become intrigued by tech diving. Staged decompression, trimix, advanced wreck and cave diving... they all seem like such awesome skillsets that could take SCUBA to a whole new level.

However... last night when I was asking an instructor about tech... he was less than flattering about the whole thing. This makes the 3rd or 4th person I've asked about tech diving that has offered less than rave reviews about it. I've heard so many different reasons. Last night's was something to the effect of: "What's so interesting about it? They dive to 330', stay a couple minutes, then spend hours ascending."

So far the other reasons I've heard from other people include:

** "Completely worthless unless you live on the coast and dive every day."
** "Certifications you will only use once."
** "Not many tech diving opportunities around to actually use your skills."
((and other inappropriate observations about the types of people that tech dive))

So my question... why the hating on technical diving? Is this a common feeling among mainstream divers, or maybe just with the groups I've dove with? Seems to me that tech would be a really awesome thing to get into once I am at a more advanced level. Is it really one of those paths that people regret taking once they do? Not trying to tick anyone off. As I said, tech sounds very fascinating to me based on what I know about it. I'm just wondering... because so far, I have literally NOT MET ONE PERSON that had anything good to say about it. :-/

Why should there be so much drama?

You want to do tech dive? Get with a tech dive group and get with a tech instructor. Do your thing.

You want to do rec dive? Stick with rec dive.

Why do people always have to act all pious and righteous? Keep your comments to yourselves, be courteous to others and maybe, just maybe, that person will repay you with the same courtesy.

Just curiosity...
.......... I'm just wondering... because so far, I have literally NOT MET ONE PERSON that had anything good to say about it. :-/

Dangerously close to a troll, but I've come to believe that it is completely honest. And provoked some damn good responses, by the way.

Why should there be so much drama?

You want to do tech dive? Get with a tech dive group and get with a tech instructor. Do your thing.

You want to do rec dive? Stick with rec dive.

Why do people always have to act all pious and righteous? Keep your comments to yourselves, be courteous to others and maybe, just maybe, that person will repay you with the same courtesy.

Life is not that simple. If we all kept our comments to ourselves there would be no communication.

Another thought (not going to read all the posts).

If you aren't confident, you have no business diving. That's especially true when you get into situations that deny you access to the surface (hard or soft overheads).

Arrogance and self-confidence are two sides of the same coin, and I imagine would could easily be mistaken for the other.

Just curiosity...

Somewhat new diver and already love the sport like crazy. Just got my EANx cert last night! Always looking to know and understand more about the fascinating world of diving. As I have learned more, I have become intrigued by tech diving. Staged decompression, trimix, advanced wreck and cave diving... they all seem like such awesome skillsets that could take SCUBA to a whole new level.

However... last night when I was asking an instructor about tech... he was less than flattering about the whole thing. This makes the 3rd or 4th person I've asked about tech diving that has offered less than rave reviews about it. I've heard so many different reasons. Last night's was something to the effect of: "What's so interesting about it? They dive to 330', stay a couple minutes, then spend hours ascending."

So far the other reasons I've heard from other people include:

** "Completely worthless unless you live on the coast and dive every day."
** "Certifications you will only use once."
** "Not many tech diving opportunities around to actually use your skills."
((and other inappropriate observations about the types of people that tech dive))

So my question... why the hating on technical diving? Is this a common feeling among mainstream divers, or maybe just with the groups I've dove with? Seems to me that tech would be a really awesome thing to get into once I am at a more advanced level. Is it really one of those paths that people regret taking once they do? Not trying to tick anyone off. As I said, tech sounds very fascinating to me based on what I know about it. I'm just wondering... because so far, I have literally NOT MET ONE PERSON that had anything good to say about it. :-/

Ok, I apologize for not reading the emtire thread,

I know a few techies and the anomosity can run both ways... there are some techies that will and have snubbed thier noses at the everyday rec diver. Thier are those that have no problems and no issues at all towards Rec divers. It is human nature or group dynamics..

I see the same thing with some motorcycle riders as well.... there are those that say if you don't ride a HD then you ain't $%^t... and then there are the ones that don't care if what you ride, just glad to know that you share the joy of riding...

Go figure...

Another thought (not going to read all the posts).

If you aren't confident, you have no business diving. That's especially true when you get into situations that deny you access to the surface (hard or soft overheads).

Arrogance and self-confidence are two sides of the same coin, and I imagine would could easily be mistaken for the other.

That's the part that scares the hell out of me. How to be sure...

Interesting thread from my point of view. I'm a new but active diver with 60 dives in the last 2 years, and still hungry to learn what I need to do the kind of diving I want to do now, or may in the future. I dive on vacation, or perhaps it's vacation to dive, based on our choices (Turneffe Island resort, Utila, Cozumel, Puerto Aventuras, etc.). Spending time in Mexico, I knew I would want to dive the Cenotes. Rather than tour, I took cavern with an NACD instructor so the next time in the area I would be better prepared. I wasn't "going tech", I was learning to do the dives I wanted to do, from the people who were best equipped to teach me. My first OW instructor taught me this. I just finished PADI rescue to add some additional skills and experience but where we go from here instructionally will depend on the kind of dives we want to do. Living in NJ I'm sure I will end up doing some wrecks, and the cavern will certainly help with that. Depending on the wreck (or other) dives I decide to do, I'll obtain the best and most applicable training I can find, from someone who does those dives all the time. If that means "tech", I'll train and modify gear configurations as required. Seems to me only logical! If some aspect of what I learn can be applied elsewhere usefully I'll do that. If a particular "tech" configuration will benefit me when I'm enjoying a drift dive in Cozumel, why not apply it, and if not, why bother? I don't see it (at least not yet in my limited experience) as being one way or the other tech/rec, but diving the safest and most advantageous way you can based upon the dive itself.

All my diving and training has also been with my 16 year old daughter - so I have incentive to get the best training I can find for us both for obvious reasons. She will be diving far longer than I will be! Now we are off to enjoy a week on Little Cayman, our reward for the work completing NACD cavern, PADI Rescue / EFR, DAN o2 and PADI Enriched air this year. Safe Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom