Why the hating on Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make it a lung, that way you use less gas when you're down.:eyebrow:

:shocked2: Oh, no you didn't just offer up my lungs....:rofl3::rofl3:

I like that term, E-Z Style, 5 minute drive, walk in, 20 or 30 ft depth, no one to keep track of, warm water, good visibility, lobsters, tropical fish and two hours of bottom time in a t-shirt. Yesterday the water near shore was bordering between warm and hot.
Indeed, neighbor! :blinking:

While I agree that not dying requires planning, do you have any statistics to show the number of "recreational diving" injuries/deaths vs the number of "technical diving" injuries/deaths? Granted the exact number of divers, and definitions of what's recreational vs technical are not really nailed down, but there are certainly enough "recreational" injuries/deaths for me not to assume injury/death does not occur to "recreational" divers.

??? It's not my number.

Nobody has the stats you're looking for, which is why I said the number was "made up".

flots.

While I agree that not dying requires planning, do you have any statistics to show the number of "recreational diving" injuries/deaths vs the number of "technical diving" injuries/deaths? Granted the exact number of divers, and definitions of what's recreational vs technical are not really nailed down, but there are certainly enough "recreational" injuries/deaths for me not to assume injury/death does not occur to "recreational" divers.

??? It's not my number.

Nobody has the stats you're looking for, which is why I said the number was "made up".

flots.

You can go to any of the DAN annual reports on North American Dive fatalities, go through the descriptions of the individual deaths, and count the number you would consider to be tech, using whatever definition you wish. That will easily give you a ratio, at least for North America.

I heard one tech diver's explanation of why he got into tech diving as being along the lines of enjoying the processes involved in computing gas mixes and deco times, using exotic equipment, etc. In other words, this guy--a physician--wasn't into tech diving as much to expand his ability to see caves, wrecks, etc., as he was simply to play with cool equipment and applied physics concepts. I know there are some who insist that there is no reason to get into tech diving unless one has a "need" to go deep, to see caves, etc., but I believe this guy's reason was as valid as any. If playing with precision-engineered equipment and exotic gases floats one's boat, I believe one need not provide further justification.

I heard one tech diver's explanation of why he got into tech diving as being along the lines of enjoying the processes involved in computing gas mixes and deco times, using exotic equipment, etc. In other words, this guy--a physician--wasn't into tech diving as much to expand his ability to see caves, wrecks, etc., as he was simply to play with cool equipment and applied physics concepts. I know there are some who insist that there is no reason to get into tech diving unless one has a "need" to go deep, to see caves, etc., but I believe this guy's reason was as valid as any. If playing with precision-engineered equipment and exotic gases floats one's boat, I believe one need not provide further justification.

I don't think anyone need justify their choices to anyone else, anyway!

Oh, that's an easy one: Because tech divers are a bunch of haughty, condescending, holier-than-thou a$$hats who presume all us rec divers want to be them.

You mean you don't....? :rofl3:

I don't think anyone need justify their choices to anyone else, anyway!

I'm guessing you're not married? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom