Why the SS Benwood is my favorite wreck...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Steaming at night with the lights out in 1942 to avoid Nazi U-Boats, the Norwegian SS Benwood ran into the much larger Robert C Tuttle, collapsing it's bow. The captain tried to make it into shore, but the boat with it's load of phosphate rock reefed in the coral sand off of Key Largo. The details are pretty sketch after this point, but I've heard that they had parties on the boat, that it was refloated and they tried to move it to sink it in deeper waters. They didn't get far enough so it still posed a hazard to navigation, so it was used as target/demolition practice by the US Navy. It's now a mostly flattened wreck and it's awesome.

Many consider the Benwood an easy dive, which it is, and so don't give it much credence. In fact, due to it's benign currents and depths (45 fsw max), it's a popular night dive. Few come to Key Largo just to dive the Benwood and that's a shame. After all, it's a real wreck, what I call a 'Screamer' and not just an artificial reef like the Speigel Grove, Eagle, Duane and Bibb. Actually, it's my favorite dive here in Key Largo.

So why is it my favorite dive? It has scads of structure with an almost infinite amounts of hiding places for all sorts of species of fish. Even more important, it has a ton of tight places a diver can squeeze into to test their control and buoyancy. Bring a light, even on a day dive, and expect to see more critters than you can most places. Today, I had the distinct pleasure of finishing up AOW with REEF.org's intern Jim off of Rainbow Reef's Voyager. He's come a long way since we first splashed in the pool earlier this week and his trim/buoyancy/propulsion have improved dramatically. We made a single trip around the boat today in a perfect 60 minute dive and he ID'ed 62 species of fish. Yes, he kept track on a REEF.org slate designed just for the Caribbean. 62 species!!! Not bad for a single dive. FWIW, I require my AOW students to do a REEF count as part of their Fish ID. This was the first time I was able to watch a REEF intern do their thing. Quite impressive, and it was cool to point out a fish and have him point to the fish name on the slate. He showed me a few cool critters and I got to show him a few too. We even disagreed over one species: he called them glassy sweepers and I called them copper sweepers. I'm going to point Jim to this thread... it would be nice to hear his take on my favorite wreck.

So when you get the chance to discover our awesome diving here in Key Largo, be sure to ask for a dip on the Benwood. You won't be disappointed and maybe you'll get to find more than 62 species of fish while you're there.

BTW, a special shout out to Capt Corbin, Jack, Baxter, Brody and Edin of Rainbow Reef. You made that an awesome trip today! Also, mucho congo rats to Jim for doing an awesome job on his AOW. May you ever be trim and neutral. :D :D :D

Great post. I was lucky enough to share my dad's final dive when he hung up his fins at 74- it happened to be on the Benwood. We enjoyed the heck out of it, and it will always be special to me.

The Benwood is also my VERY favorite dive in Key Largo :D I can't tell you how many cool things we've seen there over the years. This year I got to observe some BEHAVIOR which was new to me...we saw a grouper and a green moray out hunting on the wreck together! I'm always trying to understand fish behavior, and I don't recall seeing this coordinated hunting effort before. Strangely enough, we just saw the same thing occur on the reefs of Roatan. I'm wondering if they were hunting lionfish?

Glad you enjoyed the gang at Rainbow Reef. They have been entertaining us for years, and we plan to keep coming back for more :cool2:

Yup! Been a long long time since I dove Benwood, but a few things stick n my mind:

I really live diving this wreck;
What a cool night dive;
What a load of fish;
Hey, there's a deeper drop right over there;
Did I mention that I really live diving this wreck?
:doctor:

Steve, Fun is why I dive! :D

Matts1w, what a special memory! Thanks for sharing.

CajunDiva, I've been doing a lot of diving with Rainbow Reef. They are so helpful, courteous and fun to be around. One of the most professionally run ops I have ever been associated with. Can't wait to see their new digs... they move in tomorrow from what I understand.

MB, night dives there are truly magical, and especially if your trim/buoyancy allows you to investigate all the cracks and crevices. I dare anyone to find more shrimp anywhere else. Oh, they're there during the day, but their eyes really shine in the flash light.

Attachments

• Benwood1v500.jpg
    Benwood1v500.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Benwood2v500.jpg
    Benwood2v500.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 112
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom