Why the SS Benwood is my favorite wreck...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bait balls are one of the circumstances where video really beats stills. The movement is just amazing

Last edited:
Can anyone compare and contrast the City of Washington to the Benwood?

I've been to the Benwood several times, but my only opportunity to visit the CoW (in April) was canceled due to bad conditions. It seems much harder to get to there than the Benwood. Distance?

They are quite different in many ways. The Benwood has far more fish. The City of Washington has bigger fish like a Jewfish and resident eels. Captain Slate used to do his Critter feeds there, but has since moved that south so who knows how long the big fish will stick around. Mike's wreck, which is just a hundred/two hundred feet away from the CoW, is a better dive in my mind but not nearly as cool as the Benwood.

Dove it once. By Florida standards it is a bit further from the Marina at mile post 100. By my NC standards they are the same distance. What is 10-15 minutes?

The Benwood has a bit more vertical. The COW has some ribs that are photogenic. Enjoyed COW but seemed like more fish on the Benwood. On the other hand a big goliath came and chekced me out on the COW as did a large nurse shark. I got there with Horizon who will schedule it some time by request. I have tried to get back but have not made it. There is another op that goes there frequently.

These pictures were with my old camera so not the best quality.

Attachments

• Wash1.jpg
    Wash1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Wash2.jpg
    Wash2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Wash3.jpg
    Wash3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Wash4.jpg
    Wash4.jpg