Why use doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I specifically wanted to exclude the argument "to carry more gas".

I know, that's what makes it a faulty premise.

You asked for the DIR reason to go with doubles. The DIR reason to go with doubles is to carry redundant gear and redundant gas.

You can't ask for the DIR reason, and then specifically exclude "the DIR reason" from the response.

"I'd like to know what 2+2 equals, but I specifically want to exclude 'FOUR' from the answer."

:14:

Recreationally, If your tank volume is within your minimum gas, then it doesn't matter.

I know, that's what makes it a faulty premise.
Nope, I carry more than enough gas. So, for me, that would not be a reason to use doubles.

I wanted to hear the other reasons why doubles are better than a single with a T-valve.

"I'd like to know what 2+2 equals, but I specifically want to exclude 'FOUR' from the answer."
In this case, four is not the only answer. :lotsalove:

FIRST: your question contains a faulty premise by specifying "a set of doubles containing the same volume as a single tank" unless you're talking about a set of AL40's doubled up.
Actually, it obviously depends on the cylinders and their fill pressure.

Here in FL, double AL-80's are common, which is actually 154 cubic feet of gas when filled to 3000. So are overfilled LP 120's. An LP 120 with a "Florida" fill will hold 181 cubic feet of gas.

Take a closer look at the pic. That's not a H.

Edit: ehm... yes it is.
It actually appears to be a Y-valve, not an H-valve. An H-valve would have one handwheel sticking up.

VA300HL_200_1-250.jpg

Like others have said, this setup lacks the redundancy of a isolator valve in the event of a burst disk failure, or extruded neck o-ring.

Nope, I carry more than enough gas.

Right, but it's not REDUNDANT gas if it's in the same tank, since a single mechanical problem can prevent you from accessing ANY OF IT. Isolated doubles provides complete redundancy.

In this case, four is not the only answer. :lotsalove:

Perhaps, but don't lose sight of the fact that it is the CORRECT answer.

Tony,

Yours and Jimmer's are the only correct answers here so far.
El took the Fundies class where this was all explained, this must be a troll :coffee:

Looks like one of those strange Sanosub valves to me.

BTW, those hose protectors need to go, they cover up (potential) problems. :D

I recall another member's (Dr. Bill?) harrowing experience with a piece of debris clogging his diptube and immediately stopping all gas access on his single, leading to a CESA from 70' or so...

CESA wouldn't be necessary with doubles. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom