Why was this thread closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I believe that when a moderator has to close a thread, or remove posts from a thread, it should either be due to a clear ToS violation or the moderator should be prepared to explain logically and dispassionately why the action was taken. If the thread's being closed, this explanation should be the final post in the thread prior to closing.
I agree 100% here, Bob!

One of the problems with the mods is, IMHO, this. No mater what a Mod does, he/she will almost always be criticized for it by someone. A post is reported by someone who is offend, but the post doesn't break the tos, so no action is taken. The offended member who reported the post is unhappy that no action was taken. When action is taken, for almost whatever reason, someone isn't happy. There are those that strongly feel that no post should ever be moderated under any circumstances.

So, the kind of person who will accept the work and task of becoming a moderator is someone whose personality lends itself to being able to withstand the constant criticism (there have been times when the worst criticisms come in the mod forum from each other). Not everyone will enjoy being a moderator on scubaboard when almost every time you do the job you've volunteered for, someone berates you. It takes a strong and secure personality. It takes a unique set of ingrained self-esteem skills.

What I'm suggesting is that there are those who would do a better job, a more even-handed job, a more just job of moderating the board then we do, but that many of those people would never step into the firing line to do it.

Some step in, and then step out, or just stop moderating. They are the gentle soles.

I'm not saying that everyone should stop criticizing - on the contrary, that is how we improve. I'm am just suggesting that we, the SB community, are responsible for creating the environment that is conducive for attracting and retaining the type of moderators that we have. - for better or for worse.

And for better or for worse, I can assure you that Pete is constantly working at improving the quality of the moderators, through change and education.

I think it's really a shame that these discussions always seek to drag the Moderators into the focus point. Whatever happened to - "The buck stops here"?

Moderators can do very little if senior management prevents it....and senior management can do very little if the boss doesn't want it. Don't blame the Mods.

It's really hard to achieve any kind of consistency continually judging things on a "case by case" basis. I know full well that you can't have a hard and fast rule for every occasion, but when the complaint is continually about lack of consistency (which it mostly is IMO), then something needs fixing.

Rick Inman:
I agree 100% here, Bob!

One of the problems with the mods is, IMHO, this. No mater what a Mod does, he/she will almost always be criticized for it by someone. A post is reported by someone who is offend, but the post doesn't break the tos, so no action is taken. The offended member who reported the post is unhappy that no action was taken. When action is taken, for almost whatever reason, someone isn't happy. There are those that strongly feel that no post should ever be moderated under any circumstances.

So, the kind of person who will accept the work and task of becoming a moderator is someone whose personality lends itself to being able to withstand the constant criticism (there have been times when the worst criticisms come in the mod forum from each other). Not everyone will enjoy being a moderator on scubaboard when almost every time you do the job you've volunteered for, someone berates you. It takes a strong and secure personality. It takes a unique set of ingrained self-esteem skills.

What I'm suggesting is that there are those who would do a better job, a more even-handed job, a more just job of moderating the board then we do, but that many of those people would never step into the firing line to do it.

Some step in, and then step out, or just stop moderating. They are the gentle soles.

I'm not saying that everyone should stop criticizing - on the contrary, that is how we improve. I'm am just suggesting that we, the SB community, are responsible for creating the environment that is conducive for attracting and retaining the type of moderators that we have. - for better or for worse.

And for better or for worse, I can assure you that Pete is constantly working at improving the quality of the moderators, through change and education.
Good points, Rick ... many of which I can personally relate to.

One more thought .... when a thread is closed, the reason should be clearly stated. And there should also be a statement that if someone wishes to discuss it further the proper venue is via PM with the moderator who closed the thread.

When I was a mod, I found that it's much more productive at times to discuss things with people via PM. It's more personal, and there's no pressure to "save face" ... you can both be more open in your discussions. I resolved a lot of problems that way.

Mostly, people want clear rules and fair treatment. That's not unreasonable ... and most people won't be unreasonable if you can talk to them respectfully about why a moderating action was taken.

Yes, it takes more time and effort ... but far less than engaging in long, drawn-out threads that typically don't resolve anything. And the time is an investment in respect that goes a long way toward building relationships ... ones that, in the long term, reduce complaints which are typically the result of misunderstandings about people's motives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Kim:
I think it's really a shame that these discussions always seek to drag the Moderators into the focus point.
It's also a shame that some people constantly trying to paint "management" (me) as some meglomaniac trying to overcompensate for an apparent lack of manegerial skills instead of acknowledging an obvious breakdown in communication. I mean, why keep it simple when you can
BLOW IT ALL OUT OF PROPORTION!!!

Currently, we have the best Mod Team ever. They are committed to moderating less and communicating more and they have never been this cohesive in the back room. In fact, "The Power of Nice" has become a catch phrase for us. We now enjoy having the FEWEST reports ever going to abuse@ScubaBoard.com and the FEWEST mod related reports ever going to support@ScubaBoard.com, all the while experienceing a real LEAP in growth over the past few months. While you, the user don't get to see this type of information, I have to tell you that it makes coming to ScubaBoard a true joy for me! The best part? We have not given up our diversity or our ability to disagree about how to handle things in order to accomplish this. The Mods get along better and so they are better able to do their job and do it with less angst.

When (not if) we make a mistake, I WILL GLADLY apologise. If appropriate suggestions are given (thank you Andy, Bob and others as well) we will be more than happy to address and even implement them. We are not perfect, but we are trying hard to make this the FRIENDLIEST community, diving or otherwise on the Net. Are we a business? Yes. Do we let the tail wag the dog? No. The community has to come first or there is no business to operate.

NWGratefulDiver:
One more thought .... when a thread is closed, the reason should be clearly stated. And there should also be a statement that if someone wishes to discuss it further the proper venue is via PM with the moderator who closed the thread.
I agree Bob, and this IS our current policy. I apologize for any failures we have had in this area. I will be sure to bring this up in the back room for further consideration.

NetDoc:
thank you Andy, Bob and others as well

thank you for the spirit in which my suggestions were taken

NetDoc:
Currently, we have the best Mod Team ever. They are committed to moderating less and communicating more and they have never been this cohesive in the back room.

i agree ... whatever you guys are doing back there (I dont' want to know!) it's working ... i've had several people mention to me how different the moderating atmosphere has become in a very short time

NetDoc:
Currently, we have the best Mod Team ever. They are committed to moderating less and communicating more and they have never been this cohesive in the back room. In fact, "The Power of Nice" has become a catch phrase for us. We now enjoy having the FEWEST reports ever going to abuse@ScubaBoard.com and the FEWEST mod related reports ever going to support@ScubaBoard.com, all the while experienceing a real LEAP in growth over the past few months. While you, the user don't get to see this type of information, I have to tell you that it makes coming to ScubaBoard a true joy for me! The best part? We have not given up our diversity or our ability to disagree about how to handle things in order to accomplish this. The Mods get along better and so they are better able to do their job and do it with less angst.

When (not if) we make a mistake, I WILL GLADLY apologise. If appropriate suggestions are given (thank you Andy, Bob and others as well) we will be more than happy to address and even implement them. We are not perfect, but we are trying hard to make this the FRIENDLIEST community, diving or otherwise on the Net. Are we a business? Yes. Do we let the tail wag the dog? No. The community has to come first or there is no business to operate.

But what if I post a poll that who is the most popular Mod - will this change the mood? :D

We all know that Andy would win, so why bother? :D

In fact, most of us would probably vote for him as well! :D :D :D

NetDoc:
We all know that Andy would win, so why bother? :D

In fact, most of us would probably vote for him as well! :D :D :D

I would not put any 'has-been':s on the options - let's not make this too easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom