Why you should use wool and avoid cotton like the plague

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One time, many years ago, I made the mistake of using polypro instead of wool underwear on a multi-day mountain trip. Around day three, the underwear - and I - was so nasty that my then-girlfriend had problems keeping me from taking a full bath in a half-frozen creek.

After that, I've only used wool. When I'm close to a week in the boonies, I might have to chase down my underwear in the morning and hit it over the head to make it lie still enough to don, but when I finally have donned it, it's (almost) as comfortable as it was on day one. Synthetics OTOH... (yuck!). And I've been so effing flooded on dives that even my boxers were soaking. But I was still (sort of) comfortably warm. Because I always use a wool base layer. I've tried polypro, I've tried polyester, I've tried other synthetics. At medium to low activity levels, nothing comes halfway close to wool.

Good quality merino wool doesn't itch for 90% of those who try it, at least not unbearably so (there are differences between brands, though). I feel sorry for those who have serious issues with itching, and I really prefer a bit of "wooly feeling" over being cold and miserable.

If you get itchy with wool use a good cotton t shirt and shorts under them helps with the itchy

If you get itchy with wool use a good cotton t shirt and shorts under them helps with the itchy

I did that for a long time but found the cotton was always wet and cold under the seemingly dry outer garment

I'm using Smartwool 250 gram merino wool undergarments as a base layer. It's kinda pricey but worth it as they've been very durable, not at all itchy, and are machine washable. They are much warmer, more comfortable, and very forgiving when I am in hot weather compared to the Under Armor i was using before or the Polartec base layer I used before those. And as a bonus - they don't get very stinky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom