Whytecliff 8:30 pm Nov 11, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avic7

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just looking out the window outside and the weather is so awful. I am planning to do a night dive tonight with my buddy at whytecliff, do you know how bad it is out there right now?

Anyone know how the waves, currents and viz are?

Thanks

Avic

Avic7:
Hi guys,

I'm just looking out the window outside and the weather is so awful. I am planning to do a night dive tonight with my buddy at whytecliff, do you know how bad it is out there right now?

Anyone know how the waves, currents and viz are?

Thanks

Avic

I just came from there....cancelled dive....IMHO...don't bother.

Oy, I just got back from WhyteCliff. Did a 9 pm dive and it was a great night dive. Had a bit of current there and it was low tide but overall it was pretty good. Still did not see any seals though. That probably the only reason why I keep going to Whytecliff to do my night dives. Saw four squids (or was it one squid that was following us?) and a baby octopus and a eel plus a heron and some strange fishes and lots of shrimps. Great dive. No waves, pretty good viz as well. Not windy but kinda cold.

Hehe. Yeah, I found it a little chilly there yesterday, too. Hopefully it's isolated to the one site :wink: I did dive with a seal at Whytecliff last week, but another spot I've been joined by a VERY friendly seal is Ansel Point. You can try that if you're comfortable with your bouyancy & looking for a change of scenery with the possibility of a seal encounter. (And a wolf eel and octopus encounter as well.)

I love ansel, but not too enthusiastic about climbing around those rocks at night. if something should cause me to trip and lose balance, things might get a little hair raising.

Nessum, which side of whytecliff did you dive at to see the seal? The plumose garden side (is that called the cut?) Or the other side, the left side where you can walk to that big rock during low tide? I dove the left side again last night.

Oh and according to a friend of mine, it wasn't an eel that I saw it was supposed to be a blood worm. Could anyone please tell me more about the difference between the two species? The only thing I know so far is that worms are asexual and eels have distinct sex.

And also I was surprised to see so many squid, I thought they weren't indigenous to BC waters. I guess I was wrong since I saw so many but it the first time I have seen any.

This d*mn cold is keeping me from both skiing and diving this weekend.

Well there is always next week :)

Well, I must say it was absolutely miserble weather at Whytecliff today... windy, rainy, choppy, and waves breaking even (and not from the ferries!) Feel better now Jeckyll? One would've had better luck surfing I think... hehe. Anyway, we braved all that and ended up with a not bad dive (only did 1, as conditions worsened). Under water things were much calmer and the viz. was actually pretty decent... perhaps from the lack of open water students.. hehehe...and hey, there was tons of prime parking today ...but must say... Maui is looking soooo good right now :wink:

I never would have thought that diving would be a winter activity, but it is the only time of year where the water is clear. Can't wait to go skiiing to, but gonna have to put diving and skiiing on hold until after final exams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom