Wide angle lens options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A $390 add on semi fish eye lens for the GoPro ? Really ?

The GoPro is a great little inexpensive camera. Outstanding for the price and shooting wide angle. However, when accessories start costing as much or more than the camera itself, it might be time to consider getting a better camera.

Completely understand your point. However, the H4B has nothing to be ashamed of if we compare it to other 4k cameras in terms of IQ - on land! In water only the image center is worth the 4k
sensor. As far as the edges/borders (harshly put: ~half of the picture) is concerned, the mush is worse than 720p maybe SD quality... This cries for a solution - otherwise why should anyone
upgrade from FullHD (older gopro's, SJCAM or the little Hero - which in my opinion are the "cheap, let it swim" cameras)?

Being ~6 weeks before a major Red Sea trip I rushed to get a full picture:

Bigger cam: LX100 or GH4 (would replace my epl5 for photo as well) -> costs (cam+housing+ultrawide option): ~ 2500$ (LX100)/4000$(GH4)

Gopro on the luxury side:
- new Subspace housing, 3200$ ->bsh#t, that pays for 2xPana LX100's with housings :shocked2:
- DeepPro housing: ~1300$ - comes to realistic range, where naughty-cams and similar goodies cost, still pricey... Practically useless on land, not like other, modest aluminium housings, that help in heat dissipation (real issue).

More reasonable (<500$, equal price of the cam - which is btw typical in DSLR/Mirrorless world):
- old/discontinued Subspace housing: 400$ - not tested at 4k by anyone, useless on land, no chance to use it with a sturdier alu housing.
- SPL housing+dome: starts at 475$ - simple dome w/o any lens, probably useless for nearby targets (=90% of the scuba story).
- lens replacement on the camera + Fantasea Bigeye or Nauticam Wetmate type of air lens: ~4-500$ total cost, warranty void, cumbersome. (I plan to replace the lens anyway, but not in the first 2 months when I find out all warranty issues and able to RMA)
- gopro-specific wide converter, UFL-G140 + the cage: for me it will cost around 450$ incl taxes&shipping. I think this is the only realistic solution <1k$.

Cheap-cheap: meikon dome -> most likely wouldn't work, signing up to be a guinea pig would just cost me time+more money.

Regarding budget: the full gopro story, incl decent lights, 300m aluminium housing, UFL-G140 will set me back ~1500$, this is still a lot cheaper than an LX100, not to mention GH4, ax100 setup. And one thing: if a precious GH4+ 7-14 lens floods, the owner
probably gets closer to a major financial&mental breakdown. If it happens to a 400$ gopro I say Sh't happens and buy a new on the corner. This little camera is capable to deliver miracles - just needs enough light and a decent tray/mounting.

A $390 add on semi fish eye lens for the GoPro ? Really ?

The GoPro is a great little inexpensive camera. Outstanding for the price and shooting wide angle. However, when accessories start costing as much or more than the camera itself, it might be time to consider getting a better camera.

Last edited:
For the type of UW video I shoot, I find the GoPro lens too wide. Great for scenery, wrecks and recording people, but too wide for everything else. It's not easy getting close to wildlife and the GoPro wide angle lens makes it even more difficult.

I like my GoPro, but quickly got frustrated with the lens limitations. I currently shoot with a Panasonic LX7. The 24mm lens on the wide end is good enough for manta rays, whaleshark, goliath groupers. I can also zoom for macro shots.

Plenty of different options out there. With your $1,500 budget, I'd prefer to use more $$ on the camera itself. If you haven't already purchased anything, I'd take another look at the LX100 Ikelite combination. Should be close to $1,500. I think the LX7 might still be available if you want a cheaper option in addition to the GoPro.

Last edited:
I have an Olympus E-PL5 in 10bar housing+strobes+arms for ~2 years now, this I intend to keep, brilliant machine for photo.
The gopro-part of the budget is ~8-900$ (hero4+g140)- the rest goes on lights, which I would buy anyway.
To make the stuff narrower (~100°FOV), I'll replace the lens, I don't like the fisheye look on land. To focus on baby nudibranches, etc
I have an Inon UCL-165 already.

For the type of UW video I shoot, I find the GoPro lens too wide. Great for scenery, wrecks and recording people, but too wide for everything else. It's not easy getting close to wildlife and the GoPro wide angle lens makes it even more difficult.

I like my GoPro, but quickly got frustrated with the lens limitations. I currently shoot with a Panasonic LX7. The 24mm lens on the wide end is good enough for manta rays, whaleshark, goliath groupers. I can also zoom for macro shots.

Plenty of different options out there. With your $1,500 budget, I'd prefer to use more $$ on the camera itself. If you haven't already purchased anything, I'd take another look at the LX100 Ikelite combination. Should be close to $1,500. I think the LX7 might still be available if you want a cheaper option in addition to the GoPro.

Last edited:
The photo part I am not expanding before the trip, for the video I'll have to finish up the gear. Tonight is GoPro unboxing:)

I found some nice old/el cheapo halogen lights with 2*100w heads, i think i'll start with that. The nice warm color of the
halogen will definitely add on to the quality of the footage (and save a couple hundred bucks even if I'll later on mod it to LED).

Sounds good. Many choices in equipment out there. Look forward to seeing your video. Red Sea is on my must dive list.

The photo part I am not expanding before the trip, for the video I'll have to finish up the gear. Tonight is GoPro unboxing:)

I found some nice old/el cheapo halogen lights with 2*100w heads, i think i'll start with that. The nice warm color of the
halogen will definitely add on to the quality of the footage (and save a couple hundred bucks even if I'll later on mod it to LED).

I used halogen lights for many years. The warmth looks great on night dives. Which ones did you get ? You plan on using lights for daytime ?

Its a local produce, Duo Light 12+ the lamp body is modded to be the tank and got 2 satellites, predecessors of these.
I might mod it to led, but to my taste (~4000K)

I used halogen lights for many years. The warmth looks great on night dives. Which ones did you get ? You plan on using lights for daytime ?

I'm not familiar with those lights. Be careful with the weight of the lights and how you mount them. Heavy lights extended on arms can be very difficult to use. An option is to have your dive buddy be your lighting assistant. You might want to try using halogen lights only, no filter, for dark dives or daytime dive macro shots. Normal day time diving I like to use a filter, no lights. If you have a flip filter, it will be easy to experiment to see how to get the best results.

The tank is heavy like hell, the spots should be fine:) Most likely I'll just use the tank as a base and attach the arms directly on it/maybe add a fin to make it swim smoother.

I'm not familiar with those lights. Be careful with the weight of the lights and how you mount them. Heavy lights extended on arms can be very difficult to use. An option is to have your dive buddy be your lighting assistant. You might want to try using halogen lights only, no filter, for dark dives or daytime dive macro shots. Normal day time diving I like to use a filter, no lights. If you have a flip filter, it will be easy to experiment to see how to get the best results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom