Wife will not let me dive without a dive master..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of any clubs. My friends usually dive with each other. I guess that could be considered a club. They each have have a few years experience. I have looked into some classes such as dry suit and buoyancy. At this point I just want to get wet.

My wife wasn't happy about the midnight solo dive on the rebreather or when I stay on a wreck at 100' after the other divers are out of the water. She knows I make my own decisions but she's not always thrilled with them.

I think this is more of a MarriageBoard question than a ScubaBoard question. The day my wife thinks either of us gets to dictate the other's hobbies based off that kind of silly "safety" concern is the day I get a divorce.

I suppose I should add that the presence of a DM isn't much of a safety margin, IMO. Good for making sure you don't strain yourself hauling gear, though :D

I don't know of any clubs. My friends usually dive with each other. I guess that could be considered a club. They each have have a few years experience. I have looked into some classes such as dry suit and buoyancy. At this point I just want to get wet.

Have you had a word with them? Se what they're up to. Check out Facebook too - I'm a member of a few groups that you could call informal clubs. In fact, Facebook seems to be killing a few clubs near me because it is now so easy to find people to dive with, without club politics or paying shops. You can learn a lot diving with other divers, without lining PADI's pockets by doing a load of unnecessary specialities.

Ok, reality check. This is basic open water diving, in a quarry. This is not rocket science. Work it out. Offer to take up skydiving instead.

Get enough dives with a divemaster and them become a divemaster. My wife doesn't want me to dive without a divemaster either. Wait ... she is a divemaster.

Why do so many people think that living " YOUR " own life and telling the spouse that's the way it is... Means divorce ???? Like I said in the first post... Married 33 yrs and we are like high school sweethearts and deeply love one another... Thats what love is... Wanting your spouse to live a full and happy life.. The minute someone says " I don't want you to do that " The marriage is on the road to the rock pile..

There are things on both sides that we weren't happy about... But the others happiness comes first... Think about it...:wink1:

Back
Top Bottom