Will a dive operator really want to check my logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though I've always been a "qualified beats certified" guy... Sometimes showing the "black" card along with nitrox or enriched air cert is enough... But I prefer to just show my ADV and Nitrox cards and that's always been fine...along with the answer regarding time since last dive..

And......... to be honest I really don't mind doing a "check-out" dive when traveling since it gives me chance to check that all systems are a go and also to do my own evaluation of a potential "buddy".

What I really love about Bonaire is that even though we don't stay there, we usually buy our shore diving package from Buddies anyway and they always just ask that we do a "self" check out dive off their dock.....and it's really a very nice dive anyway.

Also I really like the self serve drive through tank station at Buddy's as it makes it seemless to grab an extra tank to use to transfill my pony..

I have been asked for my C-Card (especially NITROX) on most trips, and I have been asked some variation of "How many dives have you done & when was your last one?" a few times, but as far as I can remember, the only time I have ever was on "check in" on board a LOB in the Bahamas. I have been on that same LOB 5 times now, and now, I am typically greeted with "Hi Hoag. Welcome back." but as I said, I was asked for my physical Log the 1st time.

My wife and I stayed at Osprey Beach and dove with an outfit right across the street from the resort, they never asked for anything but c-card. Grand Turk is awesome, we loved it.

The only time most operators would want to see some sort of log (paper, digital or on a Shearwater) would be when doing a course that has specific requirements for number of dives in total or number of dives to a certain depth within a certain timeframe.

I ask our divers to show me their c-cards and ask them about their last dive and how frequently they dive.

We do not do a check-out dive, well, at least not one the divers know about. I take them to a mostly benign dive site that starts shallow and over the sand (shore dive) and I am checking their skills a we dive along the reef. From that info, I then decide the next dive sites. I do this so they don't have the "Do I really have to do a check out dive?" feeling. They are doing one, don't know it and have a blast all at the same time.

For me, I have only ever been asked for my card that corresponds to the dives I am doing and date of last dive.

Things are changing . medical forms for dive ops, log books, more requirements

1. I have been asked once or twice before but could not recall the reason.
2. I always travelled with my latest log book so never an issue.
3. I have done a few check out dives especially on LoB.
4. Usual question is "when was my last dive?". Check out dive will be required if over certain time frame set up by some operators.

What I really love about Bonaire is that even though we don't stay there, we usually buy our shore diving package from Buddies anyway and they always just ask that we do a "self" check out dive off their dock.....and it's really a very nice dive anyway.
That is a mandatory requirement from STINAPA, who runs the Bonaire Marine Park. Not all operations are as scrupulous as Buddy Dive.

I get the impression from the responses here that there are folks who are almost over-the-top obsessive about dive planning and execution, including redundancy and trim, who can't be bothered to write down any dive log info after the dive. Seems kind of contradictory.

I get the impression from the responses here that there are folks who are almost over-the-top obsessive about dive planning and execution, including redundancy and trim, who can't be bothered to write down any dive log info after the dive. Seems kind of contradictory.

Why write anything down when the Shearwater stores all dive info I need? Doesn't seem contradictory at all. Want to see my "log"? Check out my computer.

Back
Top Bottom