Will a dive operator really want to check my logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't kept a logbook since college, an embarrassingly-long time ago (and only because it had been required for a class) -- and no one has ever asked for one.

Must be my filed-down teeth and surly disposition . . .
Happened to me couple times.

Why write anything down when the Shearwater stores all dive info I need? Doesn't seem contradictory at all. Want to see my "log"? Check out my computer.
Does it store weighting and exposure suit information? That’s what I keep track of so I can remember what to do for next time.

Does it store weighting and exposure suit information? That’s what I keep track of so I can remember what to do for next time.

Yes in the apps.

That is a great point and one I highlight when I teach the OWC. But I no longer need to write that down. I know exactly how much weight I need in a rash guard and shorts vs 3 mill in backmount or in SM.

My log book is dirt cheap, 20-30 pages small student exercise book, and does not run on battery or anything. Have been using the same computer long before SW made its maiden appearance.
I just came back from a diving trip in Thailand and did not notice anyone on the dive boat using SW. But I did notice couple of divers were writing log book with detail description of each dive. Mine was very brief: date, site, max depth and dive time + something interesting if there was any; ghost pipe fish, pygmy sea horse, shark, turtle etc etc won't get mention.

I’ve been asked a small number of times for my dive log, by this the operator really meant the old qualification book. I still carry it, for the last operator I used the Subsurface app report for the last 6 months, and the BSAC app for my dive qualifications. I did have hard copies with me.

I find my Advanced Instructor (CMAS 3* equivalent) generates some interesting questions.

I use the 1st dive to checkout the operator.

I’ve been asked a small number of times for my dive log, by this the operator really meant the old qualification book. I still carry it, for the last operator I used the Subsurface app report for the last 6 months, and the BSAC app for my dive qualifications. I did have hard copies with me.

I find my Advanced Instructor (CMAS 3* equivalent) generates some interesting questions.

I use the 1st dive to checkout the operator.
It’s a long time since I carried the blue log book. Not since getting the BSAC/SAA CMAS card. Will give the BSAC app a go the next time.

The subsurface app will be used if operators require a dive log. Have only been asked for that once and that was close to 30 years ago in Oz.

I get the impression from the responses here that there are folks who are almost over-the-top obsessive about dive planning and execution, including redundancy and trim, who can't be bothered to write down any dive log info after the dive. Seems kind of contradictory.
What's the saying. "When you see a hornets nest, give it a good kick?"

I'd say it really depends on the kind of diving you do, and who you're talking to. For example, I carry redundant air on every dive as a rule. But there isn't really any significant planning needed for a 60ft recreational dive. And at the moment, logs don't help me much, because the conditions don't change much due to diving similar locations most of the year.

My dive-computer has a log, but I did lose a number of dives once, because it apparently has limited memory. It's not really me that's logging the dive though; where there might be other things worth logging, such as wetsuit, air-use, etc.

Back
Top Bottom