Will http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25525213 change deco procedures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Simon!

Can you comment or expand on practical applications on finding the best compromise "Sweet Spot" Gradient Factors now, with regard to the NEDU Deep Stop & He/N2 Kinetics? And what GF's are you now using for a typical multi-week expedition like we did at Bikini Atoll and Truk (especially over consecutive days/weeks of deep "bounce" deco dives)?

Some cross posts from the other boards for reference:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by teddy2005
Probalby not reading well, but it looks to me that to the contrary, a lot are saying that VPM is pure s..t.

Hello Teddy,

I don't think this is true and it is certainly not my message. Andrew has summed it up pretty well in his last post. VPM works, and many people have been (and still are) using it over a longish period now. However, there is some human evidence from (the NEDU study) which is consistent with underlying theory (Dr Doolette's original integral supersaturation analyses and the various enhancements produced by Kevin) that VPM may emphasise deep stops more than necessary to produce optimal decompression. Unfortunately, as Andrew has pointed out, Ross's complete refusal to even acknowledge this possibility and his frequently baseless criticisms of a valuable and unique investigation have produced a polarized argument which at times has resulted in it sounding as though people on one side of the debate think VPM is "pure s..t" as you put it. The real message is that deep stops may have been oversold to the technical diving community, but by exactly how much and where the optimum lies is not known.

As I have pointed out before, it is difficult to recommend a definitive practical application of this conclusion to divers for all sorts of reasons. However, the use of GFs does give the diver an opportunity to "de-emphasise" deep stops to an extent. In my own experience, this means that whereas I might have used a GF-Lo of 10 or 20 at the height of the belief in deep stops, I would now use 40 or 50. Given I am frequently the only diving physician in remote locations I usually also dive a conservative GF-Hi (70 - 75) but that is a personal choice. There is nothing definitive in these recommendations. It just seems like a sensible response to the data that we have as of February 2014. As Andrew has pointed out, in the world of science things can change as new data emerge.

Simon M

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mark Chase
So the BIG question in my mind at the moment is why do we feel its OK to end a deco on 90GF but not to start deco on 90GF?

Is the gradual build up of body stress somehow beneficial or is it all in our minds.

I am not clever enough to understand the finer points of deco but even to a dullard like me it makes sense that staying deep will on gas some tissue compartments which will inevitably increase the shallow decompression stop time.

Thats why I could never get my head around VPMB profiles which had more deep stops but less shallow stops?

So does any one have an opinion why we start of on low GFs and build to high GFs. Is there a progression benefit?

Mark

Hello Mark,

Cutting edge questions!

Indeed, I think it is a serious possibility that it could all be in our minds, but the issue deserves careful and cautious appraisal.

Perhaps the place to start is your question about why we start on low GFs and build to high GFs. My personal take is that it is the classic example of an unstoppable word of mouth / internet propagated fashion driven by the theoretical attraction of bubble models. This is not intended to sound disrespectful of the process. As I alluded to in an earlier post to Ross, the theory was all we had in the early days. It seemed compelling, and so most people came into line with the trend. By and large, and (I believe) after some early adjustments, it seemed to work OK. But if you go looking for data describing the efficacy of the approach you won't find it. You certainly won't find any sort of proof that it was better than anything it replaced.

Fast forward to today, and we have inherited a situation where, as Ross says, a majority of technical divers incorporate "deep stops" (that is, the deeper stops that are naturally prescribed by a bubble model, or deeper stops resulting from user manipulation of a gas content model like Buhlmann) in some form or another. In this milieu there is no denying that the majority of dives seem to have good outcomes. However, this does NOT, of itself, mean that our current approach is the best approach. There are plenty of bad outcomes too.

This paragraph contains a bit of a sidebar... but a relevant one. None of us know how safe the dives we do are. The incidence of DCS in technical diving has not been accurately measured. (WARNING: PERSONAL ANECDOTE HERE) However, on the basis of my participation in many technical expeditions and trips as medical officer, I think DCS, especially minor DCS (rashes and pain for example) is way more common in technical bounce dives than we might think. Many of these cases never get reported or sent to a hyperbaric unit. Thus, based on my personal observations I certainly don't think there is any room for complacency about the efficacy of our current practices. Choose to ignore this by all means.... just my observation. Back to science now....

This brings us to the fact that we have seen the recent emergence of data that suggest the deep stop approach might not be the best one. In particular, these data suggest that the logic of protecting fast tissues from supersaturation early in the ascent at the expense of increased supersaturation in slow tissues later in the ascent may be flawed. Whether one likes the relevant studies or not, they are all we have at the present time to illuminate this issue.

So, was the bubble model fashion a bad idea, and where does this leave the majority who have been using some degree of "deep stopping" with apparently good outcomes? Do we abandon deep stops entirely eg go to 90/90 as you hypothesised, do nothing, or do something in between?

I guess the first thing to acknowledge is that the studies indicating a disadvantage for deep stops are not the diving equivalent of multiple large multicentre randomized trials all showing that the risks of a widely used drug are greater than its benefits. On the basis of that sort of data you would probably stop using the drug overnight. The diving world data concerning deep stops are not as definitive as that. As more data emerge the situation may become clearer (or more blurred)! So, at the present time, as an informed commentator, I would not go so far as to recommend that the entire world dives 90/90 or 80/80 from tomorrow onward even though I personally would not be surprised if the outcomes were as good as (or better than) what we are getting now (if we were able to measure them!). Partly, this hesitancy to advocate substantial wholesale change arises from the certainty that every diver who subsequently got bent would inevitably blame it on the change in their decompression practice! The deep stop trend evolved over a substantial period, and if the data continue to be supportive, it may have to "de-evolve" over a substantial period.

Equally, I do believe the data are strong enough (and bear in mind they are the only data) to consider a change in practice if you are a strong "emphasizer" of deep stops. In practical terms, "de-emphasizing" deep stops (or lessening any potential disadvantage) would mean using bubble models on very high conservatism settings, and with gradient factors, avoiding very low GF-lo values. I have been evolving my own use of GFs and am currently around 50-80...sometimes as low as 70 for the high value when we are at places like Bikini and I am the only diving physician. Pre-NEDU study I was GF lo of 20. This is my personal perception of a sensible graduated response to the way the evidence is currently evolving. I may well go further in future (guided by the evidence).

Sorry about the long post. Hope it makes sense.

Simon M

Originally Posted by David Doolette

Yes, that is pretty much it. I think a more appropriate structure is to have the half-times for nitrogen and helium the same in fast-compartments and nitrogen slower than helium in slow compartments. This is not revolutionary, I think DCAP has the half-times for nitrogen and helium the same for compartments with a 25-minute half-time and faster, and has them different in slower compartments. I am not sure if 25 minutes is the best break-point, but it could be. However, as has been cautioned before, decompression algorithms with a "helium penalty" might be prescribing the right amount of decompression for deeper dives, where more helium is used, but for the wrong reason (i.e. you might need that extra decompression whether you are breathing heliox, trimix, or nitrox).

Last edited:
A "marketing troll"? Seems the only person with a financial stake in this thread is Ross...

Really, isn't the point of this thread, that started as a reference to the recently published heliox - trimix study, then branched out to include the NEDU study, to aquaint decompression divers to the most recent decompression research so they can make informed choices about their decompression schedules. Increased safety is a part of efficient decompression. I would imagine that any software company would want to incorporate the latest research to improve their products, no?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Diver0001
Since we're repeating things then I'll repeat my question as well.. Does this new research mean that we should be doubting the utility of current decompression models? R..

Quote UWSorjouner:
My comments are based on the assumption that you've seen the importance of the NEDU deep stop study.

Applying the NEDU deep stop study will involve some technique of reallocating time away from deep stops. Consider the following ways you might do that.

1. Switch to the GF model - the analysis on the deep stop threads clearly showed that the GF model effectively shifts time away from VPM-like deep stops no matter what configuration you use it in. Mitchell/Doolette put out GF 40/70 as a good starting point for divers to start reviewing their dives. Diver's will undoubtedly adjust those settings to meet their needs.

My view is that the NEDU deep stop study was strong enough to bust VPM-B. Given X minutes of decompression time, VPM just spreads too much of that time deep. Take that same X minutes and find GF 40/Z and you will have effectively reflected the NEDU result. Extend the deco time if your X minutes pushes Z into high numbers (95, 100+ etc.).

Of course, you can still safely use VPM-B, but it's likely inefficient. That is, if you use VPM-B you likely need MORE total decompression time, not less, to obtain the same DCS risk.

2. If you are hesitant to make the switch (you are still on the fence) -- Again, if you have X minutes of deco … consider spreading the time using VPM-B+0 and Hi GF=Z. By doing this you're effectively telling VPM, "I'll let you spread some of the time around, but not ALL of it." The GF=Z takes the remainder of the time and puts it into shallower stops.

3. If you currently use the GF model -- consider increasing your low GF to 40.

The GF model is just naturally more consistent with the NEDU results. Other models that I've haven't looked into may reflect the NEDU study just as well.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...13-change-deco-procedures-13.html#post7577782

------
Here's another cross post from RBW, and fair recommendation for GF's from a tough fellow who's had problems with a few neuro DCS incidents as well:

Re: Deep Stops (rebreather dive charts)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jturner
I often seem to be saying this but.... I'm sure Bruce will be along to answer this for himself but in the meantime, I don't think anyone is saying that as a result of this study, VPM has been proven to be completely unusable. Certainly I know of several people who are still quite happy using it. If my reading of the results is correct, it is merely suggesting that loading any model with loads of time doing deep stops might not be the most efficient way of doing your deco. Accordingly, what many people are doing is taking a look at the settings they use in whatever model they use for planning and diving, based on the latest information available and their own experiences, and adjusting them if required - surely a good thing to be doing from time to time anyway?

Quote aainslie:
My takeaway is this - if you use a GF exit of, say 75 you're probably fine using VPM. But that will lead to a pretty long runtime. And since it's beginning to look like VPM is adding too much time deep, why do that extra time deep if it's either not helpful or possibly even counterproductive? GF 40/75 or so would probably give you a faster exit for many profiles with no increase in risk.

That's what we are trying to do when exploring and discussing different deco strategies - find a minimum risk strategy for a given total runtime. And the evidence is beginning to suggest that VPM may not be optimal for that.

I doubt that anyone would state that this evidence is conclusive at this stage. One unfortunate side effect of the debate that occurred here is that it became highly polarized, as a few participants went way out on one side of the discussion. I personally hope that there will be more studies done on this. I really would LOVE to see a controlled study of VPM vs mid GF strategies. Problem is, this isn't a particularly interesting question for most academics, and no recreational diver has the funding to run such an experiment. It's also fairly subtle. The NEDU profiles were intentionally made to be very different; a VPM 4 vs GF 40/75 study would probably require thousands, or even tens of thousands of dives to find a statistically significant difference in outcome. Truth be told, even though I'm not a huge VPM fan, the incidence of DCS is still fairly low, making measurement of which strategy is best very difficult.

The problem, for me, is that I'm unusually susceptible to DCS. If you're not that susceptible, most of this is probably irrelevant. But- and this is the toughest issue in my mind- how do you find out whether you're unusually susceptible? Finding out my way really sucks. I haven't been bent in over a year, but I frequently wake up,to an aching left elbow. I've had two neuro hits, and they're always scary. So although DCS risk is pretty low on both algorithms, if it's (say) 1/1000 dives on one and 1/10000 on the other, that can really be important for someone like me.

So I'll spend many hours trying to understand this better, even though the only answer we can get at this point is a mix of indirect, largely intuitive evidence through Kevin's graphs (OK it's pretty well reasoned intuition, but ISS is not a perfect measure of risk- just the most sensible one that people have come up with), the NEDU study (also imperfect as it's not exactly the same profiles), the math (I really think that ignoring the scrubbing effect of the lungs leads to an excessive concern with bubble growth at the deep stage of a dive in bubble models) and my own body, which really seems to hate too much time deep.

This is a difficult, expensive thing to study empirically, and tough to model precisely. That's the bottom line. But at the end of the day, while quite a few of us currently feel that mid GF strategies seem to be the ones best supported by the stuff I outline above,
the next big study done by someone like Dr Doolette might just change our minds all over again. I personally think that it's unlikely, but still. That's science!​

Deep Stops (rebreather dive charts) - Page 21

Last edited:
A "marketing troll"? Seems the only person with a financial stake in this thread is Ross...

And the dear Dr and his followers dont have this amition??? The only marketing trolls are those that brought the discussion here, to market their "new ways". Nothing wrong in doing that, but then "marketing trolls" applies to everyone!

More importantly, this entire debate and research is still raging on years later. The lack of any real adoption confirms the industry's skeptical lookout around this topic and how it was derived.

@Kev: Did you abandoned RD?

And the dear Dr and his followers dont have this amition??? The only marketing trolls are those that brought the discussion here, to market their "new ways". Nothing wrong in doing that, but then "marketing trolls" applies to everyone!

More importantly, this entire debate and research is still raging on years later. The lack of any real adoption confirms the industry's skeptical lookout around this topic and how it was derived.

@Kev: Did you abandoned RD?
Actually it was the good Doctor Simon Mitchell on a Bikini Atoll Expedition 29Jun to 11July 2013 who kindly provided me "pro bono" with adjunctive Intravenous Treatment (Plasmalyte with Ibuprofen drip), after my IWR session for a type I pain only DCS hit on Day 8 out of 9 scheduled dive days. Quite coincidentally, his timely lecture presentation on the NEDU study at that moment (and being his Patient under treatment too!) during the expedition got me to re-think about utilizing deep stops when using Deep Air or 20/20 Trimix.

Looking back from a pathological view, I remember getting out of the water earlier, finishing my open circuit RD profile with deep stops sooner than Simon and the rest of my CCR Teammates from Day 1; starting to feel Rt upper arm/ knee niggles by Day 4; and then the acute shoulder upper arm pain immediately upon surfacing from the second & last deco dive on Day 8. (Two dives per day with min 3hr SIT; Depth ranges were 36m to 57m with 30min to 70min bottom times with EAN50 & O2 for deco gases). Pretty telling --The now classic deep stop pattern & Time Integral of Slow Tissue Supersaturation of the RD applied bubble model profile was plainly obvious, and I'm sure Dr. Mitchell was thankfully keeping an eye on me while waiting for the other shoe to drop. . .

As an aside, I also now recollect and give credit to my friends and former Truk Stop Dive Ops Managers Kelvin Davidson and Rob McGann mentioning in passing the "Deep Stops Paradox" and slow tissue on-gassing as a result in 2010 & 2012 respectively, but I didn't know or think much of it at the time (as much deco diving as they did especially guiding long runtime CCR clients thru the wrecks, Kelvin & Rob were probably becoming aware of the implications of the early preliminary results regarding the NEDU Deep Stops Study, and already adjusting their profiles accordingly).

Finally RD -Ratio Deco- is only a wet notes contingency option now (in case my Petrel computer quits or goes "watchdog reset" for instance),
and with the use of an elective extension of the O2 deco profile as needed, but not utilizing its method of discrete deeper/longer deep stops. Otherwise, following a Buhlmann GF 40/70 per the Petrel dive computer with an optional on-the-fly reset of GF-hi to 60, especially after three consecutive days of expedition type deco dives on high fN2 bottom gases like Air & Nitrox. (But on Day 4, I'm now gonna take a day-off from diving. . .)

Last edited:
Simon,

So where is it Simon? What is the quality link and connection between the nedu test and the tech practices. No BS this time, no stretched out excuses and fantasy or "guilt by association" nonsense allowed please.

<<< silence >>>

There you have it folks. When asked directly and seriously, Simon can't provide that detail.

In its place we have a chain of deception, suppositions, denials, fallacy, and endless obfuscation, and arguments going nowhere. The substance of this was created mostly by the marketing troll, with advertising level agility. Simon backs all this up with debating and some rhetological fallacies, and encourages every step of it, but he carefully does not overstep the line to say its science. The tiny bit of science he has offered has been disproved by same science methods of the central report. He now makes a desperate attempt to have integral saturation made into something more important than it is.

This deep stop argument against VPM-B is a sham, with only a hint of truth in unconnected places.

What is the conclusions of this sham show - the believers pooh pooh the fabricated VPM-B+7 they invented, but then embrace VPM-B+4 in the similar form of an emulation by choosing a GF 40/70.

Now 40/70 is still a deep(er) stop approach, and a long way from home of the underlying real ZHL plan. If one really wanted to follow the nedu test result, it would need a GF setting something like 100/45. Anyone want to swap to this? No, I didn't think so.

The believers soak up the sham show and its fallacy explanations, but when it comes to go diving, they use deep(er) stop style plans. Hypocrites, the lot of you.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2015 at 03:56 AM ----------

Really, isn't the point of this thread, that started as a reference to the recently published heliox - trimix study, then branched out to include the NEDU study, to aquaint decompression divers to the most recent decompression research so they can make informed choices about their decompression schedules. Increased safety is a part of efficient decompression. I would imagine that any software company would want to incorporate the latest research to improve their products, no?

I'd be happy to include a new model in our MultiDeco - do you have one? No. Do you have a solid theory that is complete, that is published and reviewed? No. So all you have isolated ideas. I'd hope you value the strict adherence to protocols and standards, because that is what published deco models and programs provide.

There are other hidden financial interests at play here that you are not aware of. I'm the only honest one with my name on my work. There are also some vindictive people here looking to be nasty for various reasons.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2015 at 03:56 AM ----------

Actually it was the good Doctor Simon Mitchell on a Bikini Atoll Expedition 29Jun to 11July 2013 who kindly provided me with adjunctive Intravenous Treatment (Plasmalyte with Ibuprofen drip) after my IWR session for a type I pain only Right Upper Arm DCS on Day 8 out of 9 scheduled dive days at Bikini. Quite coincidentally, his timely lecture presentation on the NEDU study at that time during the expedition got me to re-think about utilizing deep stops when using Deep Air or 20/20 Trimix. Looking back now, I remember getting out of the water earlier, finishing my open circuit RD profile with deep stops sooner than Simon and the rest of my CCR Teammates from Day 1; starting to feel Rt upper arm/ knee niggles by Day 4; and then the acute shoulder upper arm pain immediately upon surfacing from the second & last deco dive on Day 8. (Two dives per day with min 3hr SIT; Depth ranges were 36m to 57m with 30min to 70min bottom times with EAN50 & O2 for deco gases). Pretty telling huh!? --The now classic deep stop pattern & Time Integral of Slow Tissue Supersaturation of the RD applied bubble model profile was plainly obvious, and I'm sure Dr. Mitchell was thankfully keeping an eye on me while waiting for the other shoe to drop. . .

Still retaining RD -Ratio Deco- as a contingency option now (in case my Petrel computer quits or goes "watchdog reset" for instance), but not utilizing its method calculation of discrete deep stops, and with use of an elective extension of the O2 deco profile as needed. Otherwise, following a Buhlmann GF 40/70 per the Petrel dive computer with an optional on-the-fly reset of GF-hi to 60, especially after three consecutive days of expedition type deco dives on high fN2 bottom gases like Air & Nitrox. (But on Day 4, I'm now gonna take a day-off from diving. . .)

Hmm.. So ratio deco (RD) was the failure - not VPM-B.

Ratio deco - a simplistic depth averaging math method, with an aggressive ascent pattern, a known shortage of last stop time for its procedures, and backed by some questionable classroom theory.

You had an issue on day 4 and 8, in a daily series of many dives.

Ratio deco was the problem.....

Can we now please start pointing fingers at the failing ad hoc method designs (RD), and leave the real models (VPM-B) to continue doing planning properly.

There are other hidden financial interests at play here that you are not aware of.

Names?

To this day, you seem to be the one that doesn't back anything up with data coming from something else than "VPM-B calculated this, so it's true"....

, and leave the real models (VPM-B) to continue doing planning properly.
I never like the "bubble model" and have been using GF for the best part of 15yrs. 20/80 is my preferred setting and after reading the NEDU study, I am seriously thinking to change to 30/70.
I am sold on M values and GF and so far so good.
BTW, none of my tec diving buddies are using VPM.

There are other hidden financial interests at play here that you are not aware of. I'm the only honest one with my name on my work.

You are insinuating quite strongly that one or more of your high-profiled opponents in this discussion have undisclosed financial interests. If any of those are academic researchers, they would be guilty of professional misconduct by not disclosing those links.

I'm certain that you would prefer to clear the air by giving us specific names instead of throwing out allegations against those who are NOT guilty of professional misconduct.

Unless you are willing to be that specific, it would be natural to assume that you're only throwing out serious, but unfounded allegations without any basis in reality*), hoping desperately that some of the mud you're slinging will stick.

*) or, as it's better known in your language, lying.

I have been following this thread with great interest.

It appears to me that the contention is centered on one side attempting to keep the whole idea of deep stops alive while the other side is saying that the statistics of DCS just don&#8217;t indicate this. Somebody is mostly wrong and somebody is mostly right.

I also understand how researchers can become overly involved with their own approach, to the point of compromising the science that backs it up.

This particular realm of diving appears to be pertinent for only the most aggressive of technical divers, so the whole thing is completely academic for me. However, I do believe that there is something here to be learned. Physical outcomes are driven by physical laws. Lessons learned at the extremes can act as valid extrapolations of existing algorithms and thus help refine the mid-ground.

Is the &#8220;helium penalty&#8221; just another fudge that makes an imperfect ascent profile work a bit better? This is fascinating stuff.

As I read it, the research community is unwilling to invest in a fundamental study that would speak directly to this issue as the scientific gains are perceived to be weak and the study would be expensive. This issue has gone begging for years. There is no lack of researchers, but this problem just doesn&#8217;t have the face value and &#8220;wow factor&#8221; that funds grants.

Let&#8217;s assume that a proper study was designed and executed to put this entire &#8220;deep stops / helium penalty&#8221; issue to rest once and for all. Would that not provide fundamental information that applies to EVERY decompression model now in use?

Question for the probabilistic modelers: What sample size of properly designed dives would you estimate to be needed to provide sufficient power to reject the null hypothesis in a binary trial of the two approaches?

Statistics, after all, is what keeps science progressing. If it were not for the universal acceptance of the statistics part of the scientific method, we would still be arguing every single blessed concept.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom