Will there be diving in the Philippines this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Important to know that only Filipino OFWs and Citizens are allowed to fly into Philippines at this time.... All foreigner Visas (approved and issued) are already cancelled and Visa-Free Waiver is suspended until further notice.... The cancellations included Spousal, Work, and other Visas that were approved or issued, and the foreigner is still outside of the country. For foreigners already in PH, their still OK, and if their visa has expired (or will) during the Quarantine, must apply for their extension within 30 days after the lifting of Quarantine.

(I, personally, fall in the last condition, I was due for renewal and end of April, and will have to file my application for extension within the 30 days after lifting quarantine...)

Some diving operators are open now on Mindoro. Without divers. They are suffering the loss in revenue and barely holding on.

I will sink some cash into that economy the moment Duterte allows it.

Important to know that only Filipino OFWs and Citizens are allowed to fly into Philippines at this time.... All foreigner Visas (approved and issued) are already cancelled and Visa-Free Waiver is suspended until further notice.... The cancellations included Spousal, Work, and other Visas that were approved or issued, and the foreigner is still outside of the country. For foreigners already in PH, their still OK, and if their visa has expired (or will) during the Quarantine, must apply for their extension within 30 days after the lifting of Quarantine.

(I, personally, fall in the last condition, I was due for renewal and end of April, and will have to file my application for extension within the 30 days after lifting quarantine...)

Some diving operators are open now on Mindoro. Without divers. They are suffering the loss in revenue and barely holding on.

I will sink some cash into that economy the moment Duterte allows it.

Agreed! Me too buddy, my dive group is chomping at the bit! But we also have vested interests here :wink:.

[Disclaimer] For others, don't take this as our advice, do as you feel smart and safe to do.

The complete cessation of travel and tourism is hitting so many areas much harder than a ton of bricks..I really don't know how long many of these communities can weather the economic impacts before they have to resort to other lifestyle and/or locations... What will happen to our favorite dive-ops and locations after all this remains a huge question...

I am pretty sure the pawnshops in the country are doing roaring business. But how about when you have no more valuable to pawn?
What would happen when you can't borrow any more?
'Utang" can drive desperate people to do desperate thing!

Philippine Airlines will resume operations to select countries starting June 1.

United States, Canada and Hong Kong are listed.

It may not mean that foreign tourists are permitted to dissembark. But I'm following it closely.

In Moalboal now.

Currently only Philippine nationals, permanent residents and spouses are allowed entry. If allowed in you need a 14 day quarantine, a citizen can self quarantine but the few foreigners must go to government approved facility. Arrivals at NAIA are severely limited.

Foreigners in country can leave.

Once here expect limited travel. On 1 Jun Cebu Pacific had only one flight Manila to Cebu, Cebu City is, I believe still restricted entry and exit so if you made it to Cebu you might not get out of the city.

Some provinces are also having another 14 day quarantine on inter-provincial arrivals, others are restricting arrivals.

So getting here is difficult, internal travel will also be difficult. Recreational travel is highly discouraged even where it is allowed.

You may have 14 day quarantine on arrival in Manila, another 14 days on arrival in Cebu then 14 more on return to Manila plus whatever your home country imposes.

I am thinking that it may be well into 2021 before more or less unrestricted foreign travel in and out will be allowed.

The rules can change very quickly and it will be very confusing as they get implemented and different areas implement them to varying degrees. While they are not supposed to make up different rules in different areas, this is the Philippines.

However if you can get here, I talked to Cebu Dive Center and they are hopeful that we can splash mid June or early July as the restrictions are relaxing in 2 week intervals.

I am expecting shore dives only for a while as social distancing can be difficult on a boat but that may relax over time. CDC is a shore dive from the Sardine Run and in March when we were restricted to shore diving they had teamed up with the other dive operators to allow shore entry at different places so many dive sites were accessible.

So maybe by November....

So getting here is difficult, internal travel will also be difficult. Recreational travel is highly discouraged even where it is allowed.

You may have 14 day quarantine on arrival in Manila, another 14 days on arrival in Cebu then 14 more on return to Manila plus whatever your home country imposes.

I am thinking that it may be well into 2021 before more or less unrestricted foreign travel in and out will be allowed.

Yup! This this this, exactly this...

While I certainly hope it's not the case, I do agree it that may be 2021 before foreign travel restrictions will be fully eased....

The rules can change very quickly and it will be very confusing as they get implemented and different areas implement them to varying degrees. While they are not supposed to make up different rules in different areas, this is the Philippines.

This is sooo true. I'm in southern Metro Manila, and the day to day changing of the various restrictions has been dizzying... And it gets to the point where the police have no choice but to err on the side of caution and be as strict as possible, sometimes (borderline) unconstitutionally so..... (the Philippine Constitution).

I bit of hope though, I think that as the world begins to relax and return to OLD normal, the Philippines will soon follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom