Will you buy a reg off ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've purchased regs off ebay.
I've looked long time for a deal on another Mk18/G250HP to match my primary ... it looks as if prices on the G250 are very high, with lots of bidders ... I didn't want to pay more for it than I bought first/second stage new from my LDS ($280) I just checked from time to time for deals, and after a year one finally turned up, bid on it using an ebay "snipe" program that enters a bid in the last seconds, this keeps me from getting into any bidding wars, and gives me a better chance at getting what I want ... it's new, in the box, never used (you can tell) and only $235
Take your time, do research, dont get "sucked in" to bidding wars .. Have your reg checked by your LDS , and dive it conservatively at first

I often buy regulators on eBay, and I can say that except for only once every regulator I purchased worked just fine. Because my family is quickly growing into a 3 diver family, we have been in the process of standardizing our equipment. In doing so, we get a lot of stuff we don't need along with the stuff we do need. Some of it I give to my friends, most of it goes back on the market. Almost all of the stuff I put back on the market, I have taken time to rebuild so it is in good working order not just to be nice, but it has become a hobby.

Pluses and minuses of a money back guaranty: If you have reservations about buying a used regulator on eBay, just buy one with a money back guaranty. The problem with that is that it tends to drive up the price.

eBay can also be habit forming; I went into mild withdrawal symptoms recently when I saw a beautiful MK 5 go for less than $30 including shipping....I have too many already, but still......

Couv

I'd buy it, but I would also send it for servicing before using it under the water. Add that to the cost and see if it is still worth it. You can generally save a fair bit doing this.

Servicing gear before using it is important! I have purchased Poaeidon Extreme's from E-Bay. These are not easy to get serviced, since there are few service techs around. I am fortunate to have a Poseidon service tech at my LDS. $440 is a fantastic price for a set of Extreme's, 1st, and two 2nd's, (usually more than $600 for a 1st and one 2nd). Even with the servicing, it was a great bargain.
When buying from E-Bay, you must be sure the gear can be serviced! There's lots of old Dacor reg's for sale, these cannot be serviced!, and anything spent on them would be a waste.

From personal experience I would say don't do it. Its better to make sure you have a warranty, plus I had a customer turn up recently with 2 regs that he had bought off of ebay and both had problems!

I would buy it in heartbeat if I didn't feel that that the GT3's and Delta4's are just as good and can can be had for around 200-250 if you are patient and keep watching. I also will not buy a DVT reg as it's a gimmick and not necessary for anyone who is halfway careful with their gear. I also can get kits easily for Oceanic regs and being an Oceanic tech have all the tools I need to service them. I'm also partial to the CDX5 first stage over the FDX10. If you like PM me the ebay link and I;ll check it out. I'll also try to provide links to Oceanic regs that I think are a better deal on there like this one

Oceanic Neo Regulator, Discount Scuba Diving Regulator - eBay (item 220483941671 end time Oct-21-09 12:54:31 PDT)

or this one on scubatoys site. They have a used EOS that I'm sure will come with a warranty for 425.00 They in fact have alot of demo regs that I'd bet are serviced, come with a factory warranty and with Scubatoys already great reputation for service.

From personal experience I would say don't do it. Its better to make sure you have a warranty, plus I had a customer turn up recently with 2 regs that he had bought off of ebay and both had problems!

I can't think of much that is more expensive and more worthless than a warranty on a regulator.

What was your personnel experience and what kind of problems did you customer's regulators have. Many regulators on ebay have been rode hard, put up wet, and/or sat in storage for quite some time before someone offered them on ebay. That is why you need to know what you are doing. I focus on the fairly old and sometimes fairly ugly regulators and have gotten some great buys and generally pleasant surprises. I have bought some regulator figuring I could use them for parts only to find out that the damn thing is quite repairable.:eyebrow:

i only support my Local Dive Shop. I have lived in 8 countries and find a dive shop that i like the people and supoprt these guys because i dive with them and enjoy their company nas well as buy their training. As i see it, the LDS makes very little money on just equipment sales compared to the value that they provide to me with comraderie and advice. That makes up for the extra cost. They know that when i buy something it is from them and they treat me as more than a passing customer. They are there for me with training, advice and travel. Please support the LDS because you can not go diving or train with eBay.

The above ... I do support my LDS, I use their services, and purchased all my gear and all my training through them, except a used drysuit and that regulator off ebay to match the one I did purchase from them ... where else could I have gotten a Mk18/G250HP ?

I buy a lot of stuff from eBay, used stuff only, no problem so far.
I also support my LDS: that clever devil has a shop in the street and another one on eBay:D.

I like Oceanic Omega II regulators. Well, they're out of production so about the only place I can get them is eBay. I buy them fairly cheap, have them serviced and they're good to go.

I bought several rigs this way. No problems.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom