Wind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoopscallahan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How windy is it down near Iberostar? Coming down 5/13-18. We live in Dallas, Texas and it has never been windier here. It's nuts. Sustained 20-25 every day with 35+ gusts. Hoping it's just us but I've got friends in other forums (mostly boating) confirming it's never been this bad, especially down in Florida.

How windy is down near Iberostar? Coming down 5/13-18. We live in Dallas, Texas and it has never been windier here. It's nuts. Sustained 20-25 every day with 35+ gusts. Hoping it's just us but I've got friends in other forums (mostly boating) confirming it's never been this bad, especially down in Florida.
Iberostar is on the southern west side and typically has little wind as the prevailing wind is from the East. When it does get moderate to heavy wind from the North or West (basically above 8-10 Kts), the port is closes and you are not going diving. Check windy.com or WindGuru for a basically accurate wind forecast up to 10 days out. It gets more accurate the closer out you check. El Norte's happen in May but not that frequently.

When the port is closed the pool isn't open, no matter if you're in the south.

When the port is closed the pool isn't open, no matter if you're in the south.
that’s not always true. There have been port closures recently that closed Palancar to Punta Sur leaving the rest open for diving All depends on the wind!

How windy is it down near Iberostar? Coming down 5/13-18. We live in Dallas, Texas and it has never been windier here. It's nuts. Sustained 20-25 every day with 35+ gusts. Hoping it's just us but I've got friends in other forums (mostly boating) confirming it's never been this bad, especially down in Florida.

Especially down in Florida? It has been this bad and it's not unusual. It actually hasn't been that bad of a "wind" season here in Florida this year (Nov-May). I've seen worse and I'm only going on 6 years of history.

judydives: At least Dressel which runs out of Iberostar has it's boats harbored closer to the port, so I don't think they can get down to the resort when the port is closed. But than again, this was a few years ago when I missed a dive day at Iberostar because the port was closed. Maybe it's different now.

The wind has been pretty strong the last couple of days from the north and northeast. Luckily it has been just enough from the east not to close the port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom