• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Windy Weather

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by Charles Dieringer, Oct 31, 2020.

  1. Charles Dieringer

    Charles Dieringer Registered

    # of Dives: 100 - 199
    Location: So Cal
    15
    2
    We are heading down Nov5-11. Looks to be very windy next week. At what wind speed do they close the marina and should I expect that?
     
  2. ChuckP

    ChuckP Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Cozumel
    1,456
    1,420
    Does look breezy next week, lots of it with the East enough part that it won't effect diving, the stuff out of the North and West though makes for a bad day. I have to wonder how much that tropical deal headed towards Honduras is effecting the forecast.

    Windguru - Mexico - Cozumel
     
    cozcharlie likes this.
  3. DandyDon

    DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
    50,396
    5,552
    I find it difficult to put much stock in forecasts more than five days from now unless there is a big hurricane fueling the guesswork. The winds look strong the days before your arrival, but out of the northeast so channel diving will not be directly affected.
    Still, in a very long-range view of your visit, they look rather calm.
     
    Charles Dieringer and keesmon like this.
  4. keesmon

    keesmon Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States
    293
    60
    Following. I’ll be on island November 7-14. I’ll start to watch Windguru on Wednesday.
     
  5. ggunn

    ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Austin, TX, USA
    10,997
    4,168
    It's more the wind direction than the wind speed. Winds from the west to north quadrant will have a major effect on diving and port closures even at relatively low intensity. The prevailing winds on the island are usually from the south to east quadrant; even strong winds from those directions generally will not shut down the diving, although the far south sites may be affected.
     
    ChuckP likes this.
  6. gopbroek

    gopbroek Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Lewisville TX
    4,241
    5,093
    Harbor Master closed the port this afternoon, wind is shifting east tonight but increasing. Hopefully she will reopen it tomorrow.
    Wasn't real bad but it was justifiable. 20201101_174933.jpg
     
  7. gopbroek

    gopbroek Solo Diver

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Lewisville TX
    4,241
    5,093
    While true it also depends on the wind direction in the latest Harbor Masters office. There is a lot of turnover in the office and consistency has been an issue in recent years.
     
  8. azstinger11

    azstinger11 ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: San Diego, CA
    526
    367
    Our dive op just called and said today’s (Mon, Nov 2) morning dives are likely canceled, but absolutely postponed tell the official 10-10:30 weather report. We are looking at canceling the rest of the week and just switching it up and doing cenotes for the rest the of week.
     
  9. ChuckP

    ChuckP Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Cozumel
    1,456
    1,420
    Understand the frustration but tomorrow thru Friday look fine. You're just getting some residual weather this morning.
     
  10. azstinger11

    azstinger11 ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: San Diego, CA
    526
    367

    It’s more of the uncertainty aspect, it’s more the diving may or may not go that is having us consider changing plans. We really have zero desire to bum around the hotel/island/beach, so if we switch to the cenotes we have a 100% chance of diving. With the later morning cancels from the island dive shops they are somewhat mutually exclusive, we can either get the first ferry and get 2 cenotes dives in or we can roll the dice here and get 0, 2, or 4 dives. It’s no ones fault but we have exactly 0 desire to be idle.
     

Share This Page