Wing for single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JiveMaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

So, I'm making a reverse purchase :wink:

I need a wing for use with singles, to attach to my Aluminum Diverite Backplate.

I've always taught/guided recreational in my Zeagle Brigade, technical with my hog setup with a Diverite Classic wing, I'd like to start guiding in my hog configuration.

So, I need single tank wing recommendations for tropical conditions. Also, what about using a using a single tank adapter for my BP vs. just stringing cambands through the BP??

I have two Oxycheq wings that you might consider.

The first is a 30# Mach V. I currently have it mounted to a SS plate and use it for all my single tank diving with heavier exposure protection or if I'm carrying extra gear such as camera rig or pony bottle. I used it for a couple of years with an aluminum plate for warm water diving as well. It is a great wing and very versatile.

The second is an 18# Razor. I currently have it mounted on an Oxycheq ultra light plate and use it all summer and for traveling to places where the water is blue and the fish are not green. It absolutely ROCKS! It's like you ain't wearin' nuthin'. It's not very versatile however. It's pretty much limited to little or no neoprene and a stripped down camera rig. Sounds like you may have other kinds of diving covered so it may be an option for you.

As far as a STA, I currently use one with both rigs. I dove without a STA for a while and just ran the cambands through the plate. It worked fine but was a little wobbly. STAs help me with weight distribution so I use a weighted STA with the #30/SS plate rig for drysuit diving and a SS non-weighted STA for heavy neoprene. The 18# with ultra light plate has one of the Oxycheq two piece STAs on it. It works well. If you're okay with only one camband on your tank you could run it though the plate and wing. It's a little wobbly but not significantly more so than with the two piece STA.

The Halcyon Eclipse is a good choice. I have the older single bladder version - very streamlined and lightweight, but prone to punctures if you do any penetration at all.

I am also an STA fan even though it raises the tank an inch or so farther off your back. Cam bands with no STA are just too wobbly.

But this is where I get excommunicated from the hog community...I prefer an Air 2 on my pretty fish recreational diving single tank plate and wing.

If you look at #1 below you see a Mk 17 with long hose primary and an Air 2 - the three hoses needed allow everything to be routed straight down on the single tank. It is incrediobly clean hose routing and very streamlined in the water. And the Air 2 on the longish corrogated inflator hose is more than enough to get two divers to the surface on a recreational dive with all the normal long hose advantages.

In #2 you see a Mk 10 style reg with a bungeed octo and still fairly clean hose routing thanks to the LP port on the end of the LP port turret. Since I just put my single hose Mk 17 on permanent loan, I will probably go back to something like that with a Mk 5, 10, 15 or 20. Or not, as I rarely dive single tank and when I do, I usually use my PRAM.

In # 3 you see the Mk 17 with the extra hose reguired for the bungeed octo with hoses sprouting out all over the place as you have to use ports in each side of the first stage. If you have a similar reg with 2 LP ports per side, the Air 2 makes a great deal of sense to clean up your hose routing. It is not PC but it is actually optimum for the configuration and the diving I do with it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 150
Hi All,

I need a wing for use with singles, to attach to my Aluminum Diverite Backplate.

So, I need single tank wing recommendations for tropical conditions. Also, what about using a using a single tank adapter for my BP vs. just stringing cambands through the BP??

Hi Jive Master,

Check out the Travel Wing, with 30lb of lift and a long center panel to accommodate backplates it might be perfect for your needs. It has a donut style shape, is lightweight and rolls up for travel.

If you need extra lift perhaps consider the Venture Wing, it has 40lb of lift and a trapezoid-shape which gives you extra lift around the hips.

Perhaps check out our Solution Finder to see which wing is best for you.

Best,
Ag

The Halcyon Eclipse is a good choice. I have the older single bladder version - very streamlined and lightweight, but prone to punctures if you do any penetration at all.

I am also an STA fan even though it raises the tank an inch or so farther off your back. Cam bands with no STA are just too wobbly.

But this is where I get excommunicated from the hog community...I prefer an Air 2 on my pretty fish recreational diving single tank plate and wing.

If you look at #1 below you see a Mk 17 with long hose primary and an Air 2 - the three hoses needed allow everything to be routed straight down on the single tank. It is incrediobly clean hose routing and very streamlined in the water. And the Air 2 on the longish corrogated inflator hose is more than enough to get two divers to the surface on a recreational dive with all the normal long hose advantages.

In #2 you see a Mk 10 style reg with a bungeed octo and still fairly clean hose routing thanks to the LP port on the end of the LP port turret. Since I just put my single hose Mk 17 on permanent loan, I will probably go back to something like that with a Mk 5, 10, 15 or 20. Or not, as I rarely dive single tank and when I do, I usually use my PRAM.

In # 3 you see the Mk 17 with the extra hose reguired for the bungeed octo with hoses sprouting out all over the place as you have to use ports in each side of the first stage. If you have a similar reg with 2 LP ports per side, the Air 2 makes a great deal of sense to clean up your hose routing. It is not PC but it is actually optimum for the configuration and the diving I do with it.

Must be difficult to use the bungeed octo in #3 since it's hanging from the tank valve and under all the other hoses... :D

Hi All,

I've always taught/guided recreational in my Zeagle Brigade, technical with my hog setup with a Diverite Classic wing, I'd like to start guiding in my hog configuration.

I've been really pleased with my Agir Brokk Blackbird 36. You can get it from Salvo Supply or Scubatoys.com, and it's in the same ballpark as the oxycheck or halcyon wings

I have a oms 30 pound wing for a single and I'm not using the sta and I'm very happy. Never had a problem with the 2 cam bands being wobbly.

Look at the Golem 35# Ring Wing - no STA required, works great. Make certain holes will align with your plate. You can find Golem products on the internet.

My warm water rig is a DR aluminum backplate with Oxycheq Razor 30# wing. I love it. The Razor packs down to practically nothing.

Cheng uses a DSS Kydex plate and 18# DSS Travel wing. That's even lighter and more compact than my rig.

Can't go wrong with either, to my concern ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a Mach V Extreme. It's one that doesn't have roll control, but it hasn't caused an issue even without an STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom