wing lift question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Now I am using 3mm wetsuit with DSS 17lbs wing in tropical warm water. If I go to other country where water temp is colder and ware 5mm wetsuit, do I need larger wing or not?

Thanks,

it depends on what tanks your using and how deep you are going. In general I think that is a touch small for a 5mm if you're going deeper than about 70ft, but you need to calculate how much lift you're going to need in that suit first. It is literally right on the edge.

Now I am using 3mm wetsuit with DSS 17lbs wing in tropical warm water. If I go to other country where water temp is colder and ware 5mm wetsuit, do I need larger wing or not?

Thanks,

How buoyant is the 5mm suit? I'd suggest testing the suit. Roll it up, (without trapping a huge bubble in it) and throw it in the water. Add lead until it sinks.

Few 5mm suits will be 17 lbs positive. More typically they are 8~12 lbs.

Remember any BC, including a BP&W, needs to do two things: 1) Float your rig with a full tank if you ditch it, and 2) Be able to compensate for the maximum possible change in buoyancy of your exposure suit.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom