Wing nuts or lock nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone use lock nuts to secure their BP/W or use wing nuts to do so?
In case of latter, do folks use lock washers?
Issue has come up in another thread where apprarently the BP separated from wing.
Thanks
everbilt-lock-nuts-800151-64_1000.jpg

Attachments

• everbilt-lock-washers-800042-64_1000.jpg
    everbilt-lock-washers-800042-64_1000.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 125
I use split lock washers and stainless nuts. I make sure to put a wrench on them before diving, just to check they haven't worked loose.

I used nylon lock nuts for a while, and had two of them seize on me (granted, they were cheap and I should have learned after the first one) and ended up having to cut the bolts off. So now I just put a wrench on them before diving.

One set of doubles just has flat washers and wing nuts. The other has flat washers, split lock washer and wing nuts. All Stainless.

I used wing nuts + flat washers for several years. They had to be tightened before every dive as they would be noticeably loose.

I put some locktite on the threads last summer. That seems to have solved the "problem" and it's not too terrible to break loose when I need to disassemble. I added a tiny bottle of locktite to my SAD bag.

Edit: I saw the other thread. Since it has been brought up, I use the blue locktite rather than the red.

Last edited:
I've used regular stainless lock nuts (just like in first post photo) for about a year now. So far no problems.
I use them with just flat stainless washers.

The wing nuts provided with my STA loosened a few times on me.

I do a full disassembly for rinsing after every time I dive. So, I change the lock nuts after about three times of use.

Ya the nylon wingnuts lose their grip after a while. I use a lock washer and because my wing gets moved btween sets of tanks, I wouldn't want to use locktite

I do use nylon nuts but also lockwashers on the threaded rods through the tank bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom