Wing or Jacket for 5'1" female ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to throw another thought out there for consideration....

My first BCD was a DSS BP/W. I only used BP/W rigs ever, up until about a month ago when I got a ScubaPro Hydros Pro.

Now, the Hydros has become my go-to rig for single tank diving. Of course I still will use a BP/W for back mount doubles.

The Hydros comes in several sizes for women, with parts of it made specifically to fit a woman's shape.

The Hydros is lighter than a stainless steel BP/W setup. It packs down smaller. It conforms to my back better than a flat plate. It's slightly easier to get in and out of (compared to a well-adjusted BP/W - WAY easier than how a lot of people end up with their BP/W's setup), mainly because of no crotch strap and no need for a crotch strap. The Hydros back plate material (monoprene) is kind of grippy and so the rig does not move around on my back at all, even though it has no crotch strap. In contrast, my BP/W rigs all have a tiny bit of movement to them - e.g. if I were to turn on my side or on my back and then turn back to stomach/chest down. A good BP/W is stable in the water. My Hydros is simply MORE stable. The only rig I have used that is as stable is my single tank BP/W rig that has a Freedom Contour plate.

The Hydros bungees do a good job of keeping the wing pretty streamlined, even though it's way more lift capacity than I need.

The Hydros comes with two sets of waist belts. One has the big, bulky weight pockets. The other is their "travel strap" setup. With the travel straps installed, it's virtually as clean in the front and streamlined as any BP/W rig. And the wing has trim weight pockets on the back, so you might not need the front weight pockets at all anyway. The whole rig is neutral in the water and I don't need any weight in mine when using a 3mm suit and a steel tank (in fresh water). With an aluminum tank, I need 4 - 6 # (again, in fresh water), which would fit in the trim pockets. So, I can travel with it without the bulky weight pockets, no problem.

With it's tank hang strap and single QR tank strap, the Hydros mounts onto a tank quicker and more easily than a "normal" BP/W setup. And it's quicker/easier to have the rig mounted at the right height on the tank (because of the adjustable tank hang strap).

The Hydros also dries in minutes, which is kind of nice. I got out of the pool the other day and by the time I had the rest of my gear packed up and ready to leave, my Hydros (still mounted to my tank) was dry enough to put on over my hoodie and walk out to my truck without ending up with a wet back.

The Hydros is way more expensive than even a DSS rig (which are expensive for a BP/W). But, I have seen a couple in the Classifieds here recently for less. Not sure if it's still available, but I even saw one in a woman's size.

I poo pooed the Hydros from the time it came out. I only bought mine to have something to teach Open Water classes in that would allow me to demonstrate skills like weight pocket remove/replace and BCD remove/replace in exactly the same way as the students would be doing. But, now that I have it, I have become a huge fan. I would not pay full price for one. I would use an inexpensive BP/W (e.g. my HOG wing and Blue Reef back plate) instead. But, that is purely a financial decision and thus, your decision on that is yours and no one else's. I teach for a shop so I got mine for quite a bit less than MSRP. After looking at all the "regular" BCDs that we carry at the shop, the Hydros was the only one I could see myself ever using as a backup to my BP/W, so I paid more for it compared to what I could have gotten some other BCD for. Now, I am glad I did.

Just something to consider. Your wife may feel like it's worth the extra money. Or she might like a regular BP/W better.

I said, I wouldn't pay full pop for one myself. But, what something is worth is not a judgment for me to make for anyone but myself.

I see lots of posts here on SB where people tell other people that XYZ "is not worth it," where it is clear that the person writing is saying XYZ is not worth it to the person they are talking to. I don't agree with that AT ALL. Whether something is worth the price is purely a financial decision that is personal to the potential buyer.

I think the Hydros is nicer than any BP/W rig I've used, but whether it is "worth" the price is not up to me (except for when I'm the one buying).

If Flycaster's wife is always and only going to dive in a 7mm, then a SS BP/W (and a drysuit) might be a choice she'll like better. But, if she's ever going to go dive in the Caribbean, she might be happier to use that lead when diving at home and not have it when she's in warm water. I certainly can't say.

The Hydros definitely doesn't seem like it would be much extra lead. A DSS SS BP in size Small is 4#. The Hydros is neutral. So, worst case, she's carrying an extra 4# of lead? Wouldn't be a big deal to me, but that's just me. If she goes to Coz and dives with Aldora, she'll (probably) have a steel tank and then a SS BP would probably have her over weighted.

Like I said, I'm not pushing the Hydros. It IS more expensive. I was just putting it out there for consideration, since it's a thought nobody else had put forth.

@stuartv, any chance you know the weight of the Hydros Pro in travel configuration? Also, in travel configuration, what do you do for waist weight pockets, since you're leaving the big clunkers at home (please just assume you'll need waist pockets)? That is, diving an AL80 with 5mm neoprene?

Another push for the DSS.

what do you do for waist weight pockets,

Pocket shorts! My (female) dive buddy has resisted them because she says they make women look even wider in the hips. She's finally acquiesced though! I forget who said it, but to quote an SB member "most of us look like a baby sea being strangled by a placenta" anyway. Efficiency and comfort is the goal!

I may not be 5"1, Actually closer to 6"... but at least I am a girl.
Go standard BPW. If she has even an incling of hips/boobs (IE a girl A form, and not a guy Y form) a BPW (With the normal crotch strap) will sit exactly where it is supposed to without riding up under your arms. It will feel like a backpack on land, and stable under water. Her boobs wont be squished by unnessesary cheststraps, and it will all be clean and nice. To top it all of, you can get BPW for a normal pricepoint, and they will keep their resell value.

Whoops, I read @Dogbowl's post in haste. The pocket shorts are great for storing equipment, but you wouldn't want to put weights in them. I have a couple of weight pouches that attach to a cam band for when I need a couple of extra pounds when using an AL80.

@stuartv, any chance you know the weight of the Hydros Pro in travel configuration? Also, in travel configuration, what do you do for waist weight pockets, since you're leaving the big clunkers at home (please just assume you'll need waist pockets)? That is, diving an AL80 with 5mm neoprene?

I'll weigh it tomorrow.

My plan would be to use the trim weight pockets on the back, and possibly add trim weight pouches to the tank strap or travel waist belt, if necessary. I have a pair of DGX trim weight pockets that are nice because they are just big enough to hold 1 x 5# in each. I think those plus the trim weight pockets built into the wing should be enough for an AL80 and a 5mm suit.

@stuartv, any chance you know the weight of the Hydros Pro in travel configuration?

Mine is a Men's size Large.

With the waist weight pocket belt, it weighs 9.0 #.
With the travel waist belt, it weighs 6.8 #.

According to my digital luggage scale.

Also, a couple more notes:

The waist belts are 2" webbing.

The travel waist belt has D-rings on both sides. They are sewn in a fixed position. But, you can adjust the position of the waist belt itself. It has loops sewn into the ends. You insert the ends through slots on each side of the back plate. Then you insert a plastic clip through whichever loop you want to use. Which loop you use determines how far the waist belt pulls through the back plate to go around your waist.

That also means you could put accessories on the waist belt just in front of the back plate - e.g. a light canister or Eezycut pouch.

And you could put accessories (for 2" webbing) on the belt towards the front, too, by removing the plastic buckle, sliding on your accessories, and putting the buckle back on.

2018-02-28 10.57.57.jpg

Back
Top Bottom