Wing size with this setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This morning I followed Tobin's great advice to really get a handle on the buoyancy of my equipment and go from there to choose how much lift I need. I'm looking for a ss back plate for singles (probably a medium since I'm 5'8", 150 Lbs). Here is what I found out:

In cold water, I use either a full suit that is 14# positive or with an added hooded vest that is 9# positive (23# total). My booties and gloves are 2-3# positive. Accessories (cutting devices, lights etc.) add up to about 2# negative. My camera rig is close to 3# negative. My 19 cu ft pony bottle is 2# negative at 500psi, including the regulator. This list does not include my primary regulator, which is probably around 2# negative. Total: 17# positive.

In warm water, I use a 3mm full suit that is 4# positive and carry the same accessories, pony bottle and camera gear. Total: 5# negative.

Obviously, these numbers are all in freshwater.

Add to this 4 more pounds of lead to compensate for an Al 80 at 500psi, that would leave me with 21 pounds of lead in cold water, and 1 pound of lead in warm water. The former number is indeed what I dive in cold water, albeit in saltwater. Surprisingly, I should be close to neutral without any additional weight in my warm water setup, but I actually dove with 10 pounds and it seemed ok.

So, my guess is I would want a steel plate for cold water and a Kydex for warm water, right? Or, should I rather choose a Kydex with weight plates added in cold water?

My big question is this: Although the 26 Torus looks appealing to me, I wonder if the 30 LCD would be a better choice, given that I may go dry not too far in the future?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Will you be diving you pony at 500 PSI ? I think that i might leave out the pony for simplicity, but whatever. If you shouldn't count it as air should you count it as weight ? In fact, now that I think about it, I don't think I would include the pony or the camera gear. If you start out with the pony -5 and hand it to me,,,,,did you drop 5 or 2 lb's. What if you don't take the camera ? Sure, part of your dive plan, but your weighting ?? I don't know, answers to follow. my 2 cents worth....

Interesting the difference on the hood and wet suit. What weight wet suit and what weight hood ?

I'll be interested in the "to follows" :popcorn:

adios don O

Will you be diving you pony at 500 PSI ? I think that i might leave out the pony for simplicity, but whatever. If you shouldn't count it as air should you count it as weight ?

Interesting the difference on the hood and wet suit. What weight wet suit and what weight hood ?

I'll be interested in the "to follows" :popcorn:

adios don O

I can see where you're coming from in terms of the pony, but I do need to count it as weight because my wing needs to float all this stuff on the surface, including my camera, which of course does not count as "weight weight" either.

This is with a Bare Arctic 7mm full suit and hood.

I can see where you're coming from in terms of the pony, but I do need to count it as weight because my wing needs to float all this stuff on the surface, including my camera, which of course does not count as "weight weight" either.

This is with a Bare Arctic 7mm full suit and hood.

So we will wait for the experts to weight in. Seems that you shouldn't count it as neg for the begining of the dive as it might not always be there. But then again, you might need to float it. So figure out your "basic" config and wing size, then I might need to float X more lb's so I need a wing X bigger to cover the "what if's". Sort of the same way you will look at "when I go dry".

don O

This morning I followed Tobin's great advice to really get a handle on the buoyancy of my equipment and go from there to choose how much lift I need. I'm looking for a ss back plate for singles (probably a medium since I'm 5'8", 150 Lbs). Here is what I found out:

In cold water, I use either a full suit that is 14# positive or with an added hooded vest that is 9# positive (23# total). My booties and gloves are 2-3# positive.

How did you determine these values? 3 lbs for booties and gloves is lot. Consider your full 3mm is +4......

Accessories (cutting devices, lights etc.) add up to about 2# negative. My camera rig is close to 3# negative. My 19 cu ft pony bottle is 2# negative at 500psi, including the regulator. This list does not include my primary regulator, which is probably around 2# negative. Total: 17# positive.

In warm water, I use a 3mm full suit that is 4# positive and carry the same accessories, pony bottle and camera gear. Total: 5# negative.

Obviously, these numbers are all in freshwater.

Add to this 4 more pounds of lead to compensate for an Al 80 at 500psi, that would leave me with 21 pounds of lead in cold water, and 1 pound of lead in warm water. The former number is indeed what I dive in cold water, albeit in saltwater. Surprisingly, I should be close to neutral without any additional weight in my warm water setup, but I actually dove with 10 pounds and it seemed ok.

So, my guess is I would want a steel plate for cold water and a Kydex for warm water, right? Or, should I rather choose a Kydex with weight plates added in cold water?

My big question is this: Although the 26 Torus looks appealing to me, I wonder if the 30 LCD would be a better choice, given that I may go dry not too far in the future?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

P, I tried, I really did. Too much info, and I'm not sure I understand some of what you have posted.

I don't like to guess, and it's not really useful for me to make assumptions about the info you have posted here.

Call me if you want a recommendation. 626-799-5078.

Tobin

P, I tried, I really did. Too much info, and I'm not sure I understand some of what you have posted.

Whew -- I'm glad it wasn't just me!

I can't really see how an average sized recreational diver could go wrong with a 26# Torus wing.

P -- I think you are waaaaaaay overthinking this.

P congratulations. I guess that you were able to call Tobin and he was able to straighten you out. Once again the personalized service pays off. He gets the order and you think you know what you are doing. I am sure that you will love the "stuff".

adios don O

I did the same, but I beat you by one day!!! ;-) Exact same thing: SS med plate, 30 lb wing and Hog harness. I weigh about 10 lbs more than you, but two inches taller. The 30 lb wing should be sufficient when using a dry suit, but not ridiculous when using a 5mm full suit in the warmer waters (I figure on a 5mm even in warmer water, because I'll do many dives during my weeks).

Just got to play with almost my exact rig in the pool today (except the 26 lb Torus was on this one). It was awesome!!! VERY streamlined. I hope the 30 lb wing is as nifty as the 26 lb Torus. Anyway, I was worried about the hog harness, but no more. The guy who let me use the rig, is pretty much my size, so it was adjusted close, and it was WAAAY more comfortable than a standard harness for me, and much more stable, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom