Wing suggestion for single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dwellex

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've been diving with a dive rite ss backplate and rec wing for a few years and I was wondering which wing would be most suitable for diving single tanks in tropical water. I've been using the rec wing but I just dont need all that lift.

I'm 6'3'' 195lbs. When I dive with the ss backplate, rec wing and basic harness with a 1mm shorty in tropical water, I need no weights and my wing is practically uninflated of very little

I would like to keep my ss backplate so I dont need extra weight but I'm debating on which wing to get: DR travel, DR voyageur, Hollis,OMS etc...?

I would prefer DR just for compatibility but I'm open to other brands as long as they fit my DR backplate.

Thank you!

Alex

Halcyon Pioneer, 27lb.

I would still use it if it was a Win Choong Pioneer, 27lb.

But I'm waiting to marry it up with a ZKY Freedom Plate.

Very immaculate concept.

I have cut off the brand patch.

Even more immaculate.

Hmm, I don't actually know my weight, but I am much shorter than you, 5' 4"

The DR Travel EXP served me very well for 80 odd dives in the Philippines. I am still slowly removing weight but ensuring that I can hold my deco/safety. I have 6lb on my cylinder with the aluminium back plate and a 3mm long wetsuit, using 11litre aluminium cyclinder
Oh god I think it was 6lb on my cylinder, it seems a lot now.... and I don;t have my log book to hand.

It is so incredibly light and compact, and my trim with it is excellent. Presumably if you're diving the wing pretty much empty, which is how I dive mine, then the difference in shape will not take much getting used to.
Unfortunately, I live in England, otherwise I'd let you dive mine.

Nic

Nothing more than 30lb. The Pioneer is even better, not sure if they make these anymore??

everything is 11in on center so compatibility shouldn't be an issue. how much are you looking to spend?

Nothing more than 30lb. The Pioneer is even better, not sure if they make these anymore??

They haven't made them for years, but you still see them for sale from time to time (used). They had a single unit construction (one-piece bladder/bag) unlike the current 2-piece Halcyon wings, which are more resistant to accidental punctures

Thought so, thanks for the update!

I went to my local store today to check out the DR travel exp. I think it fit just fine for my needs. I will check out a few more reviews of other wings and will decide by the end of the week.

Thanks for you replies guys!

I use the DSS tropical 17lb wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom