Wings, Always a good topic, huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spaz

Reaction score
OK, I know what the folks at DIR think, so noone needs to repeat it. I am about to buy my first wing and I want to know what people who dive with or have dived with both bungeed and unbungeed wings think. I have decided on dual bladder so that is a done deal, and I have seen many post about the "bungie cords of death". I look and I think and for the life of me I cant see how it could be a bad idea, in fact it seems brilliant. Reduction of drag, prevention of air shifts, and just an overall neeat appearance. Help me please.

I have used both types of wings. Bungie and non bungie. I found that swimming in high flow caves. The bungies are not as streamlined as they let you believe. I found that the drag induced by all the ripples and dimples in the bungied bag created a noticeable amount of drag( I think this is why they have smooth bottoms on ships). I tried 2 wings in the same cave to prove it to myself. The dive rite classic wrapped around the tanks and didn't create all the ripples and dimples. I use the Dive Rite classic. I think the biggest problem is drag. I proved it to myself. With a well setup and weighted kit air shifts aren't a problem because you don't need to put alot of air in the Wing. I guess your definition of neat appearance is different. I guess you wear wrinkled pants with your suit vs ironed ones:) Now you can swim your a** off. I am not getting into a p*ssing contest with you, as you already have your mind made on the double drag bag. So I guess I'm just wasting my typing.

I found that the drag induced by all the ripples and dimples in the bungied bag created a noticeable amount of drag( I think this is why they have smooth bottoms on ships).

Since we can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt (where's Cochran, errr...northeastwrecks when you need him) that bungee wings kill people, can we just call them the Bungee Bags of Drag? BBOD?

How about we get spaz into a set of them and have him walk backwards in a wind tunnel. We can have him try it with a few sets of wings and see which one works best...

Dont think that just because DIR divers use Pioneer and explorer wings, that they are the only ones.
I am NOT A DIR diver
I use a Pioneer wing, Halc plate and webbing that is configured EXACTLY the same as theres, heck I even have a 7 foot hose, bungeed necklace and many other traits that are similar.
Why?
Because it works................and works GOOD.

Speaking of the OMS bungeed wings of death, I got a kick out of the picture up on the fifth dimension website taken at the DIR fundamentals class last May at Square Lake in Minnesota. The picture is located in the "Around The World With Andrew G." section. Click on "Minneapolis" under the "location" column and look for the picture titled "oh no look here".
fifth dimension :eek:ut:

Here goes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom