Wings, Always a good topic, huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about the DUI Wings? I use this BC and really like it. No, I'm not DIR or am I thinking about it, I just liked the fact that it was minimalistic compared to the other BCs on the wall in the shop. Even against other back-inflates like the chute 2 or the ranger...just bladder and weights.

Does/has anyone else used this BC and what are your impressions.

I bet he knows that number has to be handy diving with that rig...that is one of the most convoluted things I have ever seen. I can't believe people would get in the water with him wearing that.

Why have you already decided on getting dual bladder wings? What kinda of set up are you planning on diving (ie tanks and exposure suit)?

What wings would be best suited for both twins (steel) AND single steel tank diving?

I was thinking about going for the 55lbs explorer with single tank adapter ( Because of its name i thought it obviously when fitted allowed diving with a single tank). I have been told that the explorer will be dangerous with a single tank.

Is this just the shop/haylcon wanting me to buy 2 wings, or is it true?.

What if I went with the 45 lbs explorer wing + STA??.

we should change the name from "wings of death" to "wings of contraversy"

I have never heard of them causing a death, but they are sure guilty of conraversy.

if your purpose for choosing a double bladder is because you are doing deep diving...then i think there is value in it.

for cave diving using you drysuit as a back up is going to work great. you are not going to have an uncontroled descent inside a cave..cause the bottom is just a few feet below you.

this to me is why DIR cave explorers recomend a single bladder, a double bladder is not needed in a cave, and there are strong currents, so a smoot surface will be better.

now for deep diving thats a differnt story....at 400 feet you do not want to use your drysuit or a lift bag for boyancy control.

Drysuit - you use a seperate argon bottle to supply gas to your suit, don't waste it on boyancy, you have three hours of diving ahead of you. don't use your breathing gas, it would be silly to consider that in your gas management.

Bag - ok you pop a bag at 400 feet, surface current will probably pull you off your line, wall or what ever. but at least you have boyancy. but now you are managing a reel while doing gas switches, monitoring dive profile, and heaven forbid you have another problem or a team mate has a problem. if you use the bag make sure you buy a no dump bag, and make sure it does not fail

O-Ring i couldn't help it i had to jump in

What wings would be best suited for both twins (steel) AND single steel tank diving?
Good question...I am staying off the bungee wings of controversy since AquaTec is here now and we will hijack the thread yelling at each other :D

I think DiveRite makes a wing that you can use for both...or at least I have been on boats with guys that used it for both. I think it was a RecWing, but I can't be certain (diverite people?). Anyway, he used a single with STA for his second dive and large steel doubles for his first dive.

I have a Halcyon Pioneer 27# for singles and an Explorer 40# for doubles (small steels and al80s). I don't think any of the Halcyon wings would work well for singles and doubles, but you might be able to pull it off with a small explorer. However, "pulling it off" isn't really optimal and I actually bought my Explorer wing off a guy who had bought it for his wife to dive singles and smaller doubles and she hated it with singles.

I use a BCD for my single tank dives.
that is because the only time i do single tank dive is durring a class, and i think the instructor should wear what he teaches.
I teach BCD fro single tank diving.

those who teach bp/harness should wear that.

I am not aware of a bladder that will serve both purposes, but i am sure there is one out there and this is the place to find it.

Back
Top Bottom