Wings, Always a good topic, huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I poked through an old LP catalog and it looks like the OMS stuff is designed to work with both...just add an STA and a single tank and you are good to go. The Dive Rite wing that they recommend for lightweight doubles and singles is the Trek Wing and has an advertised 45# of lift.

The Dive Rite Trec wings are recommended for singles & "light doubles" (80 aluminums)
The Rec can be used with either, tho lean towards doubles.
The Classics are recommended for use with medium to heavy doubles, not singles.

They look so good I'm going to have a bunch made, by the same outfit that makes 'em for Dive Rite.

The "Bob3" sticker on the critters will cost an extra $100 tho.
:mean:

thanks i will look into dive rite wing.

I use a cheap old $60 BC at the moment and it has served me well. But its breaking up and it was never the most comfortable BC i had used.

I really wanted wings for singles NOW but then doubles in the next 6 months or so when I do some more TDI deco procedures/advanced nitrox courses.

All my tanks are steels, I dive with a 100 cf for singles and will most likely double that one up when i need a twinset.

I was trying to save money but maybe I will just have to go for a good singles wing now and then fork out again for a doubles wing later on :(

*EDIT* : looking at the trek wing (http://www.diverite.com/products/bcd/images/trek.jpg)

arent those bungee cords on the air cells?. I could be way off but thats what i always thought "BWOD" were

Those are bungeed wings of controversy (as Aquatec calls them). Anyway, since I have a little more time now...here's my take on it.

You can get whatever wing you want and implement an OMS/DiveRite style solution. There is no reason you couldn't use a 40#, 45#, or 55# Halcyon Explorer wing and do the same thing. You could bolt the wing on your BP, use an STA, and attach the tank(s) the same way as with the OMS or DiveRite setups. Halcyon recommends you use the "correct" wing for the job and get two wings (one for singles and one for doubles). The reasoning here, I think, is pretty solid. The smaller Pioneers (18#, 27#, and 36#) are ideal for singles, have a nice "donut" shaped bladder, and do not have too much material when mated with singles. I think with any doubles wing, be it OMS, DiveRite, or Halcyon, you will have a lot of wing "hanging around" if you use it with singles. That being said, you could definitely pull it off...I see people on boats all the time that do the first dive of the day in doubles and then switch to a large single and an STA for their second dive.

I am still wondering...By the way, nice pics o-ring... I agree that buying different wings for different applications is probably the way to go, I know finances shouldnt be the overriding decision in diving but realistically, they are sometimes. I have my zeagle ranger I have been diving with for 4 years and i love it, and it will be what I always use for singles....I guess my issue is I know when I start carrying doubles, I will also want to be carrying stages, and I will need a big wing for that...but...when I am diving small doubles or my 104's with no stages, I really dont want a mongo wing. The bungees seem to fix that. Also, I noticed dive rite has bungees on the super wing, in fact it is the one i like the most so far. What do you think of it o-ring?

It scares me. But I want to qualify that with the statement that I am probably not the best person on the board to comment on it. I dive small double steels (72s) and double AL80s and only have one deco/stage bottle (al40). My Halcyon 40# wing is more than sufficient lift for my applications.

I know that others on this board, and the GUE guys, dive double steel 104s and carry at least 3 stages with a 55# wing. That being said, I can't imagine a scenario where you would need 100# of lift. Since you don't want an overly large wing, instead of an overly large wing with bungees to make it a non-overly large wing, why not look at a smaller wing in the first place (unless you really need 100# of lift).

When I first got my bp/wing set up I was diving the dive rite trek wing with a single tank. I removed the bungees from the wing (I might be into bondage, but not on my wings). Although I was able to dive the single tank with this week It took a bit to get used to. Using the rear dump was not easy at first. The wing was just too big for a single tank and wrapped around it like a bun on a hot dog.

Examples: (keep in mind this was a while ago and my set up is different now)

http://68.152.17.166/gallery/2001_07_07 ABush/Klaus/LooeRf/P7070042.JPG

http://68.152.17.166/gallery/2001_07_08Chick/P7080114.JPG

I know have the Halcyon 24# pioneer wing for single tank diving and I like it a ton better, its also much more streamlined than using that 45# wing, and I don't end up looking like an angel with my wings flapping in the current.

I still have the diverite trek wing, I use it for diving double steel lp 85's and double al 80's. In my opinion the trek wing should just be used with doubles.

I hope my pictures were useful and that you guys don't pick on me to much about them.

Thanks for all y'alls help. At the moment I my thinking is this.
1. I am doing double bladder because I do dive wet, and it is what I am compfortable with.( I will keep one power inflator unplugged and will test both bladders regularly, I promise)
2. I wont touch OMS bladders because, there are many others to choose from, and I have heard a lot of bad and no good.
3. Diverite bunchies are adjustable, so I think I will probably choose one of those, though, I still am not comfortable with what size. The 55 lbs bladder looks nice, but if I start stageing later, and I dive wet and need lead, will it be enough, who knows. The super has 80lbs of lift, but damn that is a lot.
4. What kind of bondage is it Wendy is into? A cave diver who is kinky, now that is my kind of girl!

Again, thanks for all the input thus far.

---Kristopher

I've dove with and without bungees, and prefer not to have them. When I had bungees, the wing would trap air to one side or the other. They did not help deflate the wing any quicker. I did not notice any difference in oral inflation. Without the bungees, it seemed a bit more streamlined.

I think a lot of companies add bungees to try and hide all that excessive material their wing has. This way, people feel ok using it for both singles and doubles.

I know a bunch of people who have the OMS wings and have no problems. The wings seem ok to me. Even so, I would personally go with Halcyon.

Thanks for your input John, I am still studying up, hopefully I will have my mind made up soon.!

Back
Top Bottom