Wings for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SKREAM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving with single steel 100s for several years now and have put together bands, manifold, regs for doubling up. I have a single Halcyon donut wing which I like.
Which of the doubles wings is best? Just looking for some insight and reasons for choice.

I would seriously look at the Halcyon wings. They're more expensive, but they're nylon inner bladders compared to plastic, which can pinch flat a lot easier than nylon.

I think it's difficult to say which wing is best. Some of it will depend on where you find you need the lift. I have a doubles wing (no longer made) with a large upper arc and rather square shoulders -- I can park some gas there and help with the head-heaviness that almost all doubles give me. Other people with different body shapes don't need that much help there.

One piece of advice, though -- don't go overboard on lift. The larger the wing, the harder it is to vent, especially if you are not geared to require all the lift.

I would also recommend the Halcyon Evolve wing. I also own an Oxycheq and Dive Rite wing, but the Halcyon works best for me.

I would love to understand the technical basis of your comments. The Thermo Plastic Urethane bladders are significantly more robust than Nylon under nearly all practical parameters.

I would seriously look at the Halcyon wings. They're more expensive, but they're nylon inner bladders compared to plastic, which can pinch flat a lot easier than nylon.

I would also suggest Halcyon, they are the best IMO. The Evolve 40 should be perfect. Other options are OMS, Frog, Oxcyheq, & Dive Rite.

I just got a OMS 94# w/ the comfort II harness. I've only dived it a couple of times but times but, I've found the combo really comfortable. Fully inflated the wing will pitch me head first on the surface. Fortunately I don’t need to get it anywhere near fully inflated.
It hasn’t stood the test of time yet but it seems like a rugged piece of dive gear. The bladder is replaceable.

I have not seen anyone recommend a Hollis wing. I have been looking at the Hollis Doubles Donut Wing. It seems like it would be alot easier to vent air from the wing in a horizontal position with a donut wing over a horseshoe type wing. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this wing.

I have not seen anyone recommend a Hollis wing. I have been looking at the Hollis Doubles Donut Wing. It seems like it would be alot easier to vent air from the wing in a horizontal position with a donut wing over a horseshoe type wing. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this wing.

horseshoe wings can be a pain when there's not much gas in them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom