Wings for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not seen anyone recommend a Hollis wing. I have been looking at the Hollis Doubles Donut Wing. It seems like it would be alot easier to vent air from the wing in a horizontal position with a donut wing over a horseshoe type wing. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this wing.

Have a look at the wing in the picture below LiteHeddeds post. As bubbles rise, when you're in horizontal trim, the wing isn't in a horizontal plane. The side pontoons wrap up the side of the tank. The lower arch is beneath the tank. When diving in a horizontal position no gas can pass through the lower arch.

Now imagine a line drawn from the highest part of the wing in the photo to the bottom of the wing, where the lower arch gos underneath the tank. When this line approaches horizontal, gas will pass through the lower arch of the wing. Now perform the same thought experiment with your doughnut wing of choice.

I'v found that it's not so much about horseshoes v's doughnuts, as it is about good design v's bad design.

Great opinions all, and I appreciate the thread. I switched from another wing to the Halcyon because of the dump valve placement; easier for me to get to. I prefer the donut to the horseshoe because of that taco-ing effect and more gas in one side than the other-I was a whiz at going in circles. I had been looking at Hollis donut, simply because I was looking at their lights one day. I like the comment about easier venting in a horizontal positioon.
It's too bad that up here in Canada there isn't a place where you could try the various wings out. I weigh 183lbs this a.m (post Xmas) and am 5'10''. If I'm doubling up my steel 100s, what's the thought on the 40lb lift versus a 50lb lift wing. I don't believe Halycon makes a 50. I usually take a 40 stage bottle with me.

I have not seen anyone recommend a Hollis wing.

I have Hollis Wings - They are fine. I have the 38lbs and 55lbs horse shoe I also have a 45lbs donut and SMS100 side mount wing/harness which I believe is rated arounb 55-60lbs.

Wings are wings - I had an OMS 45lbs wing and it was also fine. There are lots of wings to choose from... Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, OMS, Halcyon, Hollis, etc.

Ideally around 38lbs for singles and 55lbs for doubles when using steel HP tanks - Personally, I can dive either with no issues.

There are lots of claims about who has the "best" wing but this can be so subjective - I did a recent comparison between the various wings... The various manufacturers use a combination of thick outer/thick inner, thin outer/thick inner, thick outer/thin inner, and either solid urethane bladder or urethane coated nylon/codura bladder.

Unless you really misstreat your wing, highly likely you will suffer valve and hose issues vs actual wing leak issues.

Dwayne

Last edited:
I use a 40 lb wing with double 100s and a deco bottle, and it's enough. Add a stage, and you need more lift at the surface when the tanks are full.

I cannot imagine any diving application that would require or benefit from a 94# wing!

They don't make an Evolve which is 50lb lift; which is what I think I need. That's why I've been looking for alternatives; I'd prefer Halcyon as first choice.

They don't make an Evolve which is 50lb lift; which is what I think I need. That's why I've been looking for alternatives; I'd prefer Halcyon as first choice.

Evolve 60lb wing, you are all set!

40lbs lift wing was recommend by Halcyon and GUE for my HP steel 100's. Never had any issues as long as your weighted right in the first place.

I cannot imagine any diving application that would require or benefit from a 94# wing!

If I strapped one to each foot, that would be the exact amount of lift I'd need to go tubing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom