Winter care for BC's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CNicoll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We just got back from our Caribbean dives and are likely going to put the BC's aside for a couple of months, other than perhaps some pool/training dives just to keep in practice until the ice melts in the local quarry :wink: .

What are some of the things you all do to properly care for and store your gear when it won't be used for a while? Any thoughts on some of the BC care products you have used and like/don't like?

Thanks!

Not sure if there are any specific instructions, but i guess you should clean out all the salt from the inside and outside, inflate it, and keep it hanging or wherever. You should avoid direct sun exposure though.

2 months of storage doesnt seem a long time to worry about, but make sure you deflate and inflate it once a while to make sure everything is working fine.

Mohd

Dive your bathtub.

make sure that you rinse it thoroughly with fresh water to make sure that all the salt crystals and nastys are out of the bc and then hang partially inflated to dry. Try to drain as much water out of the bladder as possible. I store mine in my basement on a BC hanger....other than that pretty much like clammy said...if you have withdrawls....dive your bathtub...

LOL. Good to hear thanks! Acutally, the pool diving around here is probably worse for wear on the BCs than ocean diving. The Chlorine really eats at them. Some of or instructors have 'Pool' BCs just for the pool sessions.

Already have the BC's in the basement on a hanger, we do a thorough rinse and inflate after our dive sessions but probably need to add some air as I'm sure they are completely deflated. Thanks all!

To add to what has already been suggested, if you have a tank, you might inflate with tank air rather than orally. That would insure that the air inside the BC is bone dry. It will also run some dry air through the inflator. It's hardly important, just something for the extra paranoid set.

Really good point, thanks. I may try one of those BC 'soaps' or cleaner from the LDS on the inside bladder just to see how they work. Cheers.

I rinse the inside of the bladder as well. You would be surprised how much gunk gets inside. I just use a mild liquid soap and warm water (about a quart of water) and then shake it up. I rinse it with fresh water after I'm done and let it hang to dry a day or two with the manual dump release removed. After I put in a little air and leave it till I next need it. (End of February in Playa del Carmen)

Back
Top Bottom