Wish I could find a mask that fits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serious question-
How do I know if I have a thin or fat face?

Serious answer--
Look in the mirror.

A fat face tends to be mostly round in shape, and a thin face will be sharp and angular.

Check your hood prior to descending as well. I noticed that if I didn't leave enough space for my mask to seal onto my face and for my straps to wrap around properly my mask would leak. During pool tests I don't use a hood and my mask never leaks. On ocean dives, I wear my hood (55 degree water is not fun if you're borderline hypothermic) and I get a few leaks here and there.

Serious question-
How do I know if I have a thin or fat face?

I don't. And I never said you do. I just merely stated my finding based on my experience about those mask. Since Atomic didn't fit you. Maybe you can give Oceanic Shadow a try, also frameless design.

I have a hard time fitting a mask as well. Never push a mask onto your face to try it. Put the strap across the front, look up and place the mask gently on your face. Gently inhale through your nose. Now, press lightly on the mask and exhale gently through your nose. Where is the air coming out? If it's coming out by your lip: awesome! If it's coming out by your forehead: Not as good. If it's coming out by your temples: You are about to buy a leaker! The harder it is to expel air, the better all around.

Buy a velcro style slap strap. I find that on some masks, the rubber strap puts too much pressure on the mask and deforms it. A velcro strap has a lot less spring to it and so you can wear it a bit looser than a rubber strap.

I've always had trouble finding masks, and finally went to a OTS Guardian full face mask. That is the best way to dive. No leaking, wider view, safer if you lose consciousness, warmer in cold water, you can breathe through your nose or your mouth, no salt taste, and the most comfortable. You can also get communication systems for them, so it can be a safer way to dive also.

Back
Top Bottom